Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

starting

smeltdan
04-11-2008, 01:39 AM
My Daughter has a 1990 Probe LX and when the car is run for awhile and she turns it off and parks. If it is still pretty warm it won't stay running, will start but will run rough and quit. If she let's it cool down it will start and keep running. I need any suggestions on where to start or what to look for.
Thank you.

FORDGUY09
04-17-2008, 08:44 AM
i have had the same problem with my 89 gl i had to replace my fuel regulator and straight wire my fuel pump to the ignition and it fixed my problem but u might have to get a new MAF Air Flow sensor also

good luck

Will Help
04-17-2008, 11:12 AM
There are several sensors under the hood which can become heat sensitive when they are on the threshold of failing. This condition can come from the heat of the electricity flowing through them or simply the heat of the engine compartment. When you park and shut the engine off, the temperature of the engine and engine compartment will get hotter for a period of time due to the fact the air is no longer flowing through the radiator cooling the water and engine compartment and the water pump is no longer circulating coolant.

The Mass Air Flow sensor will get hotter because no air is being pulled through to cool it by engine vacumn. You can do a quick check of the MAF sensor by running cold water across the housing and see if the problem goes away.

Check to see if you have any trouble codes coming up for any of the sensors.

Also could be caused by the fuel lines getting hot and creating some vapor lock problems.

Does the engine want to diesel ( keep running ruff ) after you shut it off?

smeltdan
04-17-2008, 01:10 PM
engine doesnot continue to run after shut off

FORDGUY09
04-19-2008, 08:53 PM
another thing to look for is the fuel pump relay or figure out if the fuel pump comes on when she goes to try to start the car back up when engine is still hot if the fuel pump does not come on take out the back seat (2 10mm bolts in front lower seat) and figure out if u have power going to the fuel pump if you dont try to run a straight wire from the battery to 2 of the wires on the fuel pump and see if it kicks on, the 89-92 is obd 1 so try to get a code reader and see if you can pull up any codes on it and post them in here for us

Add your comment to this topic!