Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'98 Camry V6: where is the vapor pressure sensor?

mgiurgeu
04-10-2008, 08:51 PM
I am trying to clear a P0441 code on my '98 Camry. From what I read here and on the 'net, I'm pretty sure it's the vapor pressure sensor and I'm willing to replace it. My problem is that I can not find the damn thing. I have the service manuals, which show it somewhere in between the gas tank and the cavity for the spare tire. It's not there. I can take pictures and post them if needed.

If someone can help me out finding it, I'd be very grateful (I do computers for living, so perhaps I can offer some computer advice in exchange...)

tx,

RIP
04-10-2008, 10:07 PM
It's on top of the charcoal canister according to your factory manual listed in the thread titled "Factory Service Manuals" at the top of the forum.

mgiurgeu
04-11-2008, 11:13 AM
I found it!

It's in the engine compartment bellow the air filter.

The dealer cost is ridiculous ($130). Is there any other place on the 'net I could order it from?

tx,

RIP
04-13-2008, 02:35 AM
I found it!

It's in the engine compartment bellow the air filter.

The dealer cost is ridiculous ($130). Is there any other place on the 'net I could order it from?

tx,

Could this be yet another discrepancy in the Factory Manual Brian?

Brian R.
04-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Could this be yet another discrepancy in the Factory Manual Brian?

No, the VP sensor is on the canister. The cost and location of the part he found is suspiciously like a MAF meter.

mgiurgeu
04-14-2008, 08:14 AM
From what I understand, the sensor is at the rear on the 4 cylinder model but in the engine compartment on the 6 cyl. The manual is somewhat confusing as both sections (for the 4 cyl and 6 cyl) are labeled the same: "SF". I didn't realize that initially and looked up the wrong section.

As far as the cost, that's what the local Toyota dealer told me over the phone.

Before spending the money I decided to clean it all up with compressed air. I cleared the code and all seems to be well now. I'll know for sure in a few days if it's OK.

Brian R.
04-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Here is the page from the Toyota FSM. Note that this is the EC (Emissions Control) section of the manual.

This then must be an error in the manual. Would you please post a photograph of the sensor you removed?
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/rogersb/1MZ-FEVPSensor.jpg

Add your comment to this topic!