Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Docking an mp3 player somewhere?

violent31601
04-10-2008, 01:18 PM
hey guys,

my G/f just bought me an Ipod touch for my b-day and i'm trying to figure out where I can somehow dock it to make it look have way decent in my car

any ideas?

rock0134
04-10-2008, 06:54 PM
Run the cable under the center counsil and up through the cup holder then you can have the cable hidden and shut the cup cover to hide it.

SilvrEclipse
04-11-2008, 08:46 AM
Thats not a bad idea, or you could make a mount like people use to hold their loggers. They use a real thin piece of metal and screw it down with one of the bolts that holds the consule on and run it between the platic and just use velcrow of something to attach the unit to it. I believe there is a write up on tuners. Its kind of hard to explain.

You better keep that girl man. Those things aren't cheap at all, lyou better have something good up your sleeve for her.

david-b
04-11-2008, 08:56 AM
Run the cable under the center counsil and up through the cup holder then you can have the cable hidden and shut the cup cover to hide it.

Mines the same way. I have the AUX cable running into the cup holder and just throw the player in there. I have small MP3 players so when all plugged in I can still close the cup holder and have it completely hidden and playing.

I was going to run it to the smaller slot but I use that to hold my phones, so decided against it, event though its a better fit for most of them.

violent31601
04-11-2008, 01:42 PM
thats a good idea, I can mod my cup holder to be an mp3 holder, now I just gotta think about how i'm going to do it to make it look nice.

You better keep that girl man. Those things aren't cheap at all, lyou better have something good up your sleeve for her.
no kidding! I couldn't believe she spent that much on me, we are even kinda new in our relationship. Good thing I got a good year till her b-day comes around to think about it:smooch:

violent31601
04-16-2008, 01:48 PM
so does anyone have any solutions like and actual dock that would look nice in these cars?

SilvrEclipse
04-16-2008, 02:21 PM
This was kinda what I was talking about. This is how I mount my GPs when I got on trips. Very sturdy and never falls out.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-exterior-interior/251642-2g-datalogger-mounting.html

violent31601
04-16-2008, 03:52 PM
I like the idea, I was thinking of a way to put it in that exact place. I don't mind spending a little bit of money on this project so i might use that idea only with a slide in rather then velcro, now i just gotta figure out how i'm going to approach that.

thx again

vanilla gorilla
04-16-2008, 10:35 PM
Got mine in the glovebox

violent31601
04-17-2008, 09:35 AM
SilvrEclipse

I think i'm going to use your idea, only i'm going to try to take the vent out and rig this in there somehow.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nplm=TQ719LL/A&sf=wHF2F2PHCCCX72KDY&fnode=home/shop_ipod/ipod_accessories/cases

or a case like it, i want something that i can slide my touch in and out of at ease

SilvrEclipse
04-17-2008, 10:13 AM
Good luck with it. Post some pics when you get it finished.

violent31601
04-17-2008, 10:42 AM
too bad I can't just find a replacement mount kit for the vents, kinda like the ones i've seen for installing gauges, only insted of gauges just give me a square opening instend

david-b
04-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Actually something you may want to look into is how my center vents are set up with the SAFC. I do have 2 gauges hooked up there which you don't want, but the way the SAFC hooks up may just work for you.

On the face, there is a U bracket bolted on. Then you can use a case or whatever that has some kind of loop through it and put a bolt through the U and the case. It's hard to explain, so do you get it? I may have to do a pic.

violent31601
04-17-2008, 12:32 PM
i would love to see a pic, or a link to what you are talking about

Add your comment to this topic!