Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 vw cabriolet (manual trans) 1.8

avwolf
04-09-2008, 03:25 PM
1992 VOLKSWAGEN CABRIOLET 1.8L 1780cc L4 MFI (B) [2H]_

1992 VW Cabriolet 1.8L (manual trans.)

Problem: Car starts, stumbles, occationally stalls while?at idle?(starts back up), and once running at all rpm's still stumbles. Also once in a while it just shuts down ( no spark) and engine will not run again until it cools down (ranges fm 20min - 2hrs). can't take car for any extended trips at all because it will shut down (by the time car is towed home it starts).

Conditions @ time of problem:, temperature guage in car works but when it shuts down it's always cool or normal operating temp. Oil pressure ranges fm 2-5 bars depending on rpm but allways constant. voltage during day is about 14v and at night about
12.5v - 13v with lights on and with accessories can drop to 12v (ordering a voltage regulator).

What I've done to dx: Once car shuts down, checked power to coil - okay. checked for spark at?# 1 plug?(used a spark tester - light, verified light works), no spark, checked wire fm coil, no spark.

I have already replaced (1st step) the ignition module, (2nd step) spark plugs, (wires are good, no cracks - considering changing as it's the only thing left),?and recently the (3rd step) ignition coil, cap & rotor?and the last change was the (4th step)
distributor.

After the distributor was changed Now the problem of stumbling is more prominent and?the stalling occurrs at a traffic light occurs once in a while?(but starts back up) but?I get the feeling it's gonna shut down at any minute.

I am ording the temp sending units next (both - each are two wire sensors).? I have the in the tank fuel pump and am going to change?this week?as well.

Does anyone have any advise?

Add your comment to this topic!