Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Lesabre with a Manual Transmission

Smith1000
04-07-2008, 05:46 PM
If they made a Lesabre with a 5-speed transmission, would it get 30 mpg or more on the highway? Just was wondering if it would make much of a difference on the newer models.

maxwedge
04-07-2008, 07:20 PM
My 2003 Lesabre loaded to the doors got 30.3 for a 5k Fla trip this winter. I don't think a 5 spd o/d would do much better.

Smith1000
04-07-2008, 10:03 PM
I believe I am getting around 25 combined in my '97 Lesabre. I drive mostly highway and it has 191,300 on it (original engine and transmission).

I was checking out the 2008 EPA mileage results. The Malibu shows mileage results using E85 fuel v. regular unleaded. The EPA rating for E85 is about 7 miles per gallon less than the regular unleaded. The Malibu hybrid is only a few mpg better than the gas engine.

Seems like the automatics v the manuals are within 2 or 3 mpg for cars that offer both automatic and standard transmissions. Some actually show higher MPG for automatic transmissions and it mentions "variable gear ratios". Then again, some, such as the Eclipse (I think) shows significantly less MPG for the automatic.

happydog500
04-08-2008, 12:09 AM
This is not the subject, but my Dad got 31mpg on the hwy. I get 28 with the car now.
My (1997) 4th gear is very high geared. That's why a big heavy car like this gets such good gas millage. I can't imagine driving a car with a higher gear then the 4th gear in mine. Any little hill it bogs down and I shift into 3rd.

I would hate it if the car had another gear higher then what it has now.
Chris.

GringoPete
04-10-2008, 08:11 PM
This is not the subject, but my Dad got 31mpg on the hwy. I get 28 with the car now.
My (1997) 4th gear is very high geared. That's why a big heavy car like this gets such good gas millage. I can't imagine driving a car with a higher gear then the 4th gear in mine. Any little hill it bogs down and I shift into 3rd.

I would hate it if the car had another gear higher then what it has now.
Chris.

In manual transmission cars the first gear is not considered a driving gear. It is basically just to get the car rolling so that you could put it into 2nd gear .....which is equivelent to 1st gear in an automatic transmission.

BNaylor
04-10-2008, 08:26 PM
:confused:

Wasn't he (happydog500) referring to a higher gear not lower? After all there are 6 speed manuals out and even 6 speed autos. A company called Milzy Motorsports in Ohio is doing auto to 6 speed manual conversions but only the GM "W" bodies for now.

Also, the final drive ratio gearing ratio in the differential has to be considered and will be a big factor in performance or fuel economy.

GringoPete
04-11-2008, 07:00 AM
:confused:

Wasn't he (happydog500) referring to a higher gear not lower? After all there are 6 speed manuals out and even 6 speed autos. A company called Milzy Motorsports in Ohio is doing auto to 6 speed manual conversions but only the GM "W" bodies for now.

Also, the final drive ratio gearing ratio in the differential has to be considered and will be a big factor in performance or fuel economy.

Yeah, but i think he is comparing manual transmissions having 5 gears and automatics only having 4. I may be wrong though.

Add your comment to this topic!