Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2.2l Timing (how to) and 180 Degree out prob.

Faustus
04-06-2008, 01:41 PM
1997 Pontiac Sunfire 2.2l - all stock w/ air

If you have a 2.2 ohv there is a mark on the crankshaft timing gear and one on the cam shaft gear ,...these marks should line up or point to the little tabs on the timing chain tensioner bracket located between the two gears(there are 2 tabs one for cam, one for crankshaft gear) i think the cam is near a 5 oclock position, and the crank is near 11 oclock position.

Above comment is from another thread - I have this knowlege and it is correct.

What I need PLEASE is.

When you line these marks up on the 2.2l (1997), this will bring the #1 piston to TDC. Do you have to make sure your on the intake phase (valve open) or the exhaust phase (valve open) - (this would be the 180 degree out problem other people have asked abt) - of the cam or does it matter ?

I guess what Im trying to say is, even with the marks lined up is there any way possible to be 180 degrees out. I just want to be sure Im not puttig together an anchor.

Ps Any ideas on how to remove/(stop) the cam timing gear. I cant lock the thing up to spin the bolt.

Pss Any ideas on where to get a new woodruff key (crank timing gear)

I live in Michigan/South East

Thank you for your time in advance.

Fact - If changing spark plugs and not swearing are your extent of auto ability - DO NOT DO THIS JOB YOURSELF.

Also, plan on bleeding.

Add your comment to this topic!