97 Civic Engine Problem (bent valve?)

AlexDuran
04-06-2008, 05:09 AM
Hey everyone,
Just getting some input, figured this would be a somewhat common question though I was surprised not to find much about it in my threads search.I have a Honda Civic (http://honda-tech.com/zeropost?cmd=fshow&id=1#) 97 LX, today while on the highway it sputtered to a stop. This was not before it made some serious clanking noises. There was an oil leak (it happened fast apparently), and one quick observation from the towing guy said a valve was bent (pretty much all the oil was gone), and that the engine may need to be replaced. Of course I started doing research about it when I got home, some people talking about it on line say it isn't over for the engine and it is just a bent valve (can be repaired), others say it is toast. Anyway, any thoughts or input are greatly appreciated. For a used engine it looks like about 600-700.00 at the lowest, another 1000.00 or so for labor. Would rather the current engine be fixed at a lower cost than getting a new one...
Alex

wiseguy01
04-06-2008, 11:40 AM
bent valves can be repaired so long as the damage stays on the top end if it proceeds into the bottom then rebuild is cheaper way to go but first fins out wht the valve bent before you do any motor work possible timing belt because ive heard of people replacing the motor three times and all three the valve bent again so check that first

Greenblurr93
04-06-2008, 12:38 PM
If you ran out of oil, you prolly burned out your rod bearings, which would explain the "clank", then you prolly roasted you piston rings... losing all your compression, hence the stall

Add your comment to this topic!