Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

project wrangler-turning into a major project

fwbsupermoto
04-05-2008, 10:05 AM
I just bought my first jeep about 6 months ago. It is a 1997 Wrangler with 5 speed 2.5. I got a good deal on it and want to put on a small lift and wheels. The motor is the problem. First off it was chugging gas horribly so I did the basic tune up and also replaced the 02 sensors. It was better for about two tanks of gas and the check engine light came back on and started runnin really rich again. I dont know what all it could be because for every person I ask with a jeep I get a different solution. First it was the distributor cap and the points, then someone said the tj is distributorless and doesnt have points. Then it could be my fuel pump regulator and so on. I know I am not a seasoned mechanic and it is my daily driver so I am not going to just dismantle it in the driveway. I just know it is running rich, it lobes really low (500 rpm) at idle, and clicks loudly at idle (maybe valves...timing) and gets more rapid under acceleration. Any help or referrals would be appreciated. Thanks

Add your comment to this topic!