Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 GT pulls to the right when braking

mjtr21
04-04-2008, 07:07 PM
I have a 99 Grand AM GT four wheel disc brakes. I just changed out the front strut mounts and coil springs, because my springs cracked and ruined the mounts. And when i removed the front calipers i noticed i needed new pads (they were starting to chirp). rotors were pretty much shot too so i replaced those too. i put everything togethere and went and drove it and noticed that when i was driving and i pushed the brakes, the car would pull to the right. so i went and had an alignment and drove it home and noticed it still pulled to the right. my mechanic checked the whole front end out and said it had nothing to do with suspension or anything. he said it was with the brakes. he said it could either be one of the hoses or one of the calipers. so my opinion would be that the left side wasnt working right since it is pulling to the right more. the car only pulls when i am braking. so what is anybodys opinion? caliper or hose?

xeroinfinity
04-05-2008, 10:04 AM
DId you just replace one caliper ?

these are supposed to be repalced in pairs !

If its not a caliper sticking, your proportioning valve could be bad or have major sir trapped in the system.

You did bleed all your brakes after this ???

mjtr21
04-05-2008, 11:08 AM
whoa whoa i didnt replace anything with the brakes except pads and rotors. i was asking if you thought it was the caliper. i was going to replace the calipers in a pair anyway.

xeroinfinity
04-05-2008, 12:44 PM
ok i miss read your post.. but yeah I'd try replacing the calipers and get new slide pins(comes in a kit) & some new brake grease, Id also clean out the old grease where the slide pins insert. And bleed them well ! ;)

Hopefully this will solve your troubles.

mjtr21
04-22-2008, 05:06 PM
well, i got 2 new calipers and put them on. bled both front wheels to make sure there wasnt any more air bubbles, bled them 3 times. drove the car and it still pulls, but not as bad. i checked the tire pressures and they were fine also. i can't figure out for the hell of me why it's still doing it. should i go and have it aligned again at a different place? it only does the pulling when i am braking and it pulls to the right. so does that mean my problem is with my left side? please and thank you.

Will Help
04-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Brake hoses can have internal lining problems. This comes from flexing back and forth when you turn the wheels. The inner rubber lining can break/split and form a flap that will shut off fluid flow in either direction.

The trick is to figure out which one is bad. If you have a brake that won't release, it is easily the one that is bad. If you have one that restricts fluid going to the caliper, it is the hose opposite the wheel that grabs/pulls.

If one is bad, both should be replaced.

xeroinfinity
04-22-2008, 06:45 PM
I wouldnt think the hoses would be deteriorated , its only a 1999..

Try bleeding them,
right rear, left front, left rear, right front.

If that doesnt help, I'd get it scanned from a brake shopor some one that can read ABS trouble codes..
You could have a bad proportioning valve...

mjtr21
05-08-2008, 12:44 PM
well i brought the car to a local shop because my ABS and TRAC OFF lights started coming on. he scanned it and said my left front wheel sensor isnt working right. whenever i start the car, the system does the clicking noise for the check then i drive up the road and the vehicle jerks and LOW TRAC comes on and then ABS and TRAC OFF come on after that. so today i plan on replacing the left front hub assembly. i think ill change the brake hoses too.

mjtr21
05-09-2008, 06:31 PM
changed the hub assembly and it shut off the ABS and TRAC OFF lights now. i just got done changing the front brake hoses and took the car for a test drive and it still pulls to the right. so i tried something and i isolated my problem even more. i was going down a small road earlier and i pulled on the e-brake while going straight, and the car pulled to the right! so that means my problem is with the back brakes instead of the front. so should i go ahead and buy 2 replacement calipers for the rear? pads and rotors are still fairly new. any ideas?

Will Help
05-09-2008, 08:32 PM
If it pulled to the right then it is probably the left caliper that is not working. Best to jack it up and have someone put on the brake while you try to turn the rotors. If the rotor turns then the caliper is not working. Then you need to find out if it is a collapsed brake line (rubber line inner lining can collapse and shut off the fluid flow) or if it is the caliper. To check this you need to open the brake bleeder while someone applies the brakes again. If fluid comes through easily then the caliper is bad. If very little to no fluid comes through then the rubber line is bad. Might as well check both while you are at it.

mjtr21
05-10-2008, 01:36 PM
well just took off the wheel and bled the caliper. fluid came right out. so i went up to autozone and ordered another caliper. wont be in until tuesday because its a special order item. i think i will replace the hose too. and eventually get the other side done. just glad i have 4-wheel disc brakes instead of drums :)

mjtr21
06-25-2008, 11:58 AM
ok i have had all four calipers changed, along with the new hoses. i bled all four wheel according to the book. still pulls to the right. i am bringing it in the shop today to have it looked at. im guessing i need a wheel alignment. it really shouldnt be the brake proportioning valve because that controls front to back braking right? well ill see after i guess.

xeroinfinity
06-25-2008, 05:35 PM
ok i have had all four calipers changed, along with the new hoses. i bled all four wheel according to the book. still pulls to the right. i am bringing it in the shop today to have it looked at. im guessing i need a wheel alignment. it really shouldnt be the brake proportioning valve because that controls front to back braking right? well ill see after i guess.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=5696770&postcount=2

mjtr21
07-01-2008, 12:38 PM
yes i have seen that post xeroinfinity. i replaced the calipers in pairs and bled all the calipers after that. twice actually. and it cannot be the proportioning valve because that control Front to Back braking. Not side to side.

xeroinfinity
07-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Well hopefully replacing the calipers with help clear this up.
Make sure you clean out the slide pins pocket and regrease it well, are you replacing those ??

I would check the suspension parts too, stablizer bar, lower ball joint, and the tie rods, and make sure they are not loose/broke. A realy bad alignment could also cause a little pull.

mjtr21
07-01-2008, 11:54 PM
yep already replaced all 4 calipers, hoses, and bled the system really good. and i got new slide pins and greased them good. so pretty much a new brake system here lol. that brake fluid looked pretty dirty too as i bled it out.

yeah i just checked earlier today and i think my left front tie rod needs to be replaced. hopefully that will solve my problem and i can rest. just that little problem has been bothering me for over a month now.

xeroinfinity
07-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Keep an eye on that tie rod.

Your brake fluid should be flushed out at some point anyways, realy every 50k miles.
It does keep them working best over the long term.

mjtr21
07-02-2008, 10:59 PM
i went earlier today and he said my front end is pretty solid. nothing seems to be wrong with my suspension or anything. he said that since its pulling when i am braking that its something to do with the brakes. i rechecked all the front and i regreased the sliding pins and tightened all the bolts to spec. it still pulls to the right though! so out of curiousity i was driving down a small private road today and i was only going about 10mph so i pulled the E-BRAKE up slowly and the car pulled to the right. so does that mean my problem is in the rear brakes??

J-Ri
07-03-2008, 03:18 PM
I don't think so... if yours is the "drum-in-hat" (drum brake inside the rotor), it uses an entirely different set of friction surfaces for the parking brake than the regular brake.

Although, since the rear brakes made it happen, you could have something loose in the rear suspension that is letting the axle shift and turn the car a bit.

If that's not it, since you've tried everything else, why not switch the front pads and rotors left to right and see if maybe you got a defective part?

mjtr21
07-03-2008, 03:47 PM
well im going to change the rear brakes tomorrow when i get the parts. and when i do that i will switch the front brakes and see if maybe its a defective part. thanks for your suggestion.

J-Ri
07-03-2008, 03:59 PM
In that case, I read something wrong because I thought you'd replaced front and rear already. If it still does it after you replace the rears, and the rear suspension is tight, then try switching them. I don't think the pads or rotors wear directionally, but I wouldn't switch them until you've narrowed everything else down.

xeroinfinity
07-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Something else I was forgetting is the rotors. If one is thicker then the other it'll pull, or if the run out edge is to big.
Another thing, the wear indicators go on the inside of the rotors.

These are all 4 discs J-Ri.

Might even give the rear struts & springs a good look over.

mjtr21
07-04-2008, 11:12 PM
well i changed the rear brakes today; new pads and rotors. there wasnt much of a change. so tomorrow if im not busy i will switch the front brakes around. if not then i am stumped again...but i cant help but wonder if my problem does lie in the back since it does it when i put on the e-brake. if i cant find my problem this weekend i am going to bring it in monday. yeah uh sorry about that big picture im not the best at imaging.

Add your comment to this topic!