3-month cutoff thing (explained)

bus_this
04-03-2008, 07:45 PM
I really don't like the way AF deals with older topics. In reference to this thread (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=5695328#post5695328), which was created in October, I decided to reply seeing how I could answer his question accurately and since no one else had. But apparently it's better to leave the OP with unanswered questions than provide an answer after the three-month "cutoff date".

No good deed goes unpunished. I was only trying to help out, I think it's friggen ridiculous if you ask me.

bus_this
04-03-2008, 11:34 PM
I know they're the rules and you're supposed to enforce them, but I'm still supporting my opposition against that specific rule. People come here to ask questions, and time shouldn't be a factor in whether or not they get their question answered accurately. So instead of helping that guy out, I should have made a brand new topic titled "Hey dude who had a question about a PA speaker in October", and then put my reply inside of that? It's ridiculous, if we can't help people around here and visa versa, then there's really point in questions being asked in the first place.

Yeah, it may be a rule (a stupid one at that), but it doesn't mean that rules can't be edited, changed, or omitted so that common sense is the overlying factor.

jon@af
04-05-2008, 05:50 PM
I know they're the rules and you're supposed to enforce them, but I'm still supporting my opposition against that specific rule. People come here to ask questions, and time shouldn't be a factor in whether or not they get their question answered accurately. So instead of helping that guy out, I should have made a brand new topic titled "Hey dude who had a question about a PA speaker in October", and then put my reply inside of that? It's ridiculous, if we can't help people around here and visa versa, then there's really point in questions being asked in the first place.

Yeah, it may be a rule (a stupid one at that), but it doesn't mean that rules can't be edited, changed, or omitted so that common sense is the overlying factor.

You're right in saying that people come here with questions, but you need to take the time and consider that when they ask questions, they'll want an answer fairly quickly. With that in mind, we set the 3-month policy because from what we've seen in the time that we've been here (which has been much longer than you who is questioning our policies), people come and ask questions but usually only wait a short while for an answer.

Think about it from your perspective: you're interested in buying something and want to add it to your car. You come here and ask a question to see if anyone responds. Are you REALLY going to wait 5 months before purchasing said item just to see what some people on an internet forum have to say about it? Doubtful.

Chances are, he's already installed the system or gone a different route entirely. Why do we think this way? Because this is usually how it goes here and we realize that. Therefore, instead of leaving every thread ever made open for whenever someone feels like adding to it, we close threads that are older than 3 months UNLESS the person who has added to the discussion has added intriguing and new information and the topic itself is not a time sensitive one. And if you really want to get on the topic of common sense, then you should consider that there are plenty of threads older than 3 months that are unlocked, but stay dead because members know our rule and they understand why we have it in place. No one wants to see someone bring back a 7 or 10 month old thread about installing a certain part because someone thinks "well, maybe the guy will come back and read it and think 'that's great! thanks!'" I would really recommend using your own common sense before questioning ours.

Do you get what I'm saying here? Our "stupid" policy is in place so "stupid" people don't get the idea that someone who asked a question 5 months ago is waiting for an answer in our forum.

Don't be an idiot. Don't insult us and our policies because you can't reason them out. And don't bring back old threads. Please.

bkmjet
04-06-2008, 10:06 AM
I get why you have the 3 month cut off thing, but saying instead of resurecting the old topic, to start a new one and link to it, doesn't make any sense. It clutters up the board more with more of the same stuff. But if you post it in the same topic, it's all in the same place and people going through the board won't be seeing a bunch of the same topics. I've been going through here the past few weeks and there are so many repeat topics it gets annoying.

'97ventureowner
04-06-2008, 10:22 AM
The reason for many repeat topics in some of these forums is members (usually new ones) who fail to use the "Search " function to see if the topic has already been posted. Starting a new thread to add info to an old , outdated one actually keeps the board a little cleaner and those regular members who are here frequently can sort through it easier. and choose to skip the topic if it doesn't interest them. By adding "Re:" to the old thread usually signifies that it is new info or commentary to an old thread. This is especially helpful in those threads that see a lot of daily activity.

jon@af
04-06-2008, 02:01 PM
*sigh*

Sometimes I wonder if people actually read the things we say.

Ok. When a thread is posted with a question (i.e. what is the best of [insert item] to get?) and no one answers for a while, that person is probably going to get his or her answer elsewhere.

Now, if someone brings back that thread, say... 6 months later saying "get it here, you'll get a good deal," then we are obligated to close the thread, considering its date and the fact that the poster has probably already taken care of the issue.

HOWEVER, if someone posts in the thread, bringing it back by asking a similar question, such as "I would be interested in this as well, can someone help me out?" then there is good reason to leave it open. However, most of the cases involve someone bringing back a 7-month or 2-year-old thread because they think that the guy (or gal) is coming back for the answer.

We close things that are three months old to ensure that topics stay timely and relevant. Additionally, we try to make sure that people who have genuine questions aren't ignored because some other guy who's thread is more than 3 months old and has most likely received an answer elsewhere is getting more action.

I'm not going to lie, this is a little frustrating that some of you aren't getting this. It's really not that hard of a concept to understand. Older than three months = closed when brought back unless someone posts in it with same question/new material to spark discussion. Why is that hard?

bkmjet
04-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Alright, that's understandable, but I didn't see anything earlier about letting people bring back threads to ask the same question. That's what I didn't understand and I didn't notice anything about it in your replies. It might have been there, but I didn't see it. Sorry

nutz4cars
06-25-2008, 04:49 PM
couldnt agree with you more. right on! should be a cut off at some point.

oldblu65
08-01-2008, 12:12 PM
If we are to cut off threads after three months , why not remove them altogether . This would eliminate them being resurrected and unknowing members being chastised for bringing back to life ? Just my $0.02 !:banghead:

'97ventureowner
08-01-2008, 12:31 PM
If we are to cut off threads after three months , why not remove them altogether . This would eliminate them being resurrected and unknowing members being chastised for bringing back to life ? Just my $0.02 !:banghead:
The main reason why threads aren't deleted after 3 months is they can be helpful in the future to someone else who may be experiencing the same issue with their vehicle. They can use the search function to find any related threads to their problem and then view them with all the related responses. Think of AF as a large database where members post up their issues and other members offer solutions to fix them.By deleting those threads you also delete the database and then the member has to go through the process of re-asking the question, and then having to wait for responses which can take some time. By keeping the old threads, it's right there for their viewing at their convenience.

xeroinfinity
08-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Now, if someone brings back that thread, say... 6 months later saying "get it here, you'll get a good deal," then we are obligated to close the thread, considering its date and the fact that the poster has probably already taken care of the issue.

HOWEVER, if someone posts in the thread, bringing it back by asking a similar question, such as "I would be interested in this as well, can someone help me out?" then there is good reason to leave it open. However, most of the cases involve someone bringing back a 7-month or 2-year-old thread because they think that the guy (or gal) is coming back for the answer.

We close things that are three months old to ensure that topics stay timely and relevant. Additionally, we try to make sure that people who have genuine questions aren't ignored because some other guy who's thread is more than 3 months old and has most likely received an answer elsewhere is getting more action.

:iagree:

Usualy if someone is asking a question in an outdated thread, I move it to its own new thread(then close the old one). But if its just to try and answer something thats most likely already resolved, I close the thread. :2cents:

wade623
09-03-2008, 01:35 AM
what about threads that are not time sensitive that still have other soulutions to be offerd for other people:confused:

sugestion:go through the posts and see if the problem has been solved to the extent of the question if it is close them. if it has not been answerd and has been forgotten then it should be deleted. and if the topic still might have other solutins to offer then it should stay open

'97ventureowner
09-03-2008, 09:53 AM
sugestion:go through the posts and see if the problem has been solved to the extent of the question if it is close them. if it has not been answerd and has been forgotten then it should be deleted.
Do you have any idea of the amount of time it would take for a project like this? We are all volunteers here and the time would be better well spent with other moderating duties. Most of the issues arise when a newbie comes on the site, oblivious to the Community Guidelines, ( to which all members are supposed to read and follow as a member, ) and searches through the forums for threads about their problems. They then respond with their own question or comment, resurrecting said thread. The other times are when spammers join the site and resurrect old threads to get their advertising message across to as many members as they can .

oldblu65
09-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Why not have an archives section strictly for posts over three months ? This would clean up the areas where all these old posts set now. At the top of this archives page , you could say these posts are retired , please do not attempt to resurrect them . They are for reference only !:2cents:

BNaylor
09-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Do you have any idea of the amount of time it would take for a project like this? We are all volunteers here and the time would be better well spent with other moderating duties.

:werd:

Obviously Tom these people do not realize how much work that is for us and AF Administration plus our database is busting at the seams. Sorry but this will never fly! :grinno: The existing rules and guidelines is fine and all members have to do is follow them. Many AF tech forums have additional guidelines concerning posting in old threads.

robkooL
10-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Yeah well it is important to clean up the forums and threads to make the site a bit more aesthetic

Jack Zim
10-15-2008, 02:22 AM
Seems reasonable to me, assuming people don't complain about topics being rehashed (which happens on a LOT of busy forums out there!)

Add your comment to this topic!