Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need some guidance on ignition lock cylinder

DAUGHTERISIS313
04-03-2008, 09:49 AM
Ok, I have the manual, I have the lock cylinder. Is it as simple as the manual makes it seem? I'm ready to install the cylinder for those that have done this before what/if any problems did you encounter?

Is it necessary to completely remove the air bag from the steering wheel or is disconnecting the battery and removing the relay sufficient? I know what the book says but sometimes some steps may be omitted. :runaround:

kirkwood158
04-03-2008, 11:20 AM
if your reading a haynes book I would be leary too. wish I could help seems though that if you have disabled sensors and disconected battery. ? hope somelese has been here before to help

Classicrocjunkie
04-03-2008, 02:14 PM
Yes, its that easy. disconnect the battery and hit your brakes a couple times to kill any power in the system.

1) remove both top and bottom steering column covers. disconnect black wire for theft lock

2) follow their instructions, lol. I'm too lazy to type it all out. sorry

DAUGHTERISIS313
04-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Yes, its that easy. disconnect the battery and hit your brakes a couple times to kill any power in the system.

1) remove both top and bottom steering column covers. disconnect black wire for theft lock

2) follow their instructions, lol. I'm too lazy to type it all out. sorry

Thanks for your response..is it necessary to completely remove airbags..I don't think my 95 has theft lock though

DAUGHTERISIS313
04-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Ok, changed the lock cylinder..this is what I did...

1. disconnected the negative battery terminal
2. took out the fuse for the Air bag
3. removed lower half of steering column (no theft lock on this one)
4. pushed cylinder lock button on old ignition and removed
5. installed new cylinder
6. put lower cover back on

This had to have been the simplest thing and it took all of 10 min to do if that long..I feel so accomplished..LOL:grinyes:

kirkwood158
04-07-2008, 09:37 AM
thanks for the imput dude, I was going to post ...auto zone has a how to on ignition lock chage out KUDO"S:grinyes:

yhandor
04-07-2008, 01:12 PM
She bought the new one off me, does it work okay? Hope it works!

DAUGHTERISIS313
04-07-2008, 03:11 PM
She bought the new one off me, does it work okay? Hope it works!

works fine..thanks yhandor ...the old one was so worn and cracked which is why it was sticking..too many pits in the cylinder. I can actually get in and crank up and not have to sit and jiggle it..and I can go to accessory mode and listen to the radio:rofl:

yhandor
04-08-2008, 02:30 AM
Awesome glad I could help :)

Add your comment to this topic!