Page updated on 11-17-2017

smoke and dead spots in rpm

shadowed eminence
04-03-2008, 09:48 AM
My engine has recently started smoking in the mornings for a little bit and if I leave it for a couple hrs. And I really don't think it's a headgasket problem, cause I'm not loosing coolant. Otherwise it only smokes when I get on the hammer in the high rpms. Is this the rings or could it be a lifter problem??? Plus I have a dead spot between 2k and 3k rpms. It only comes up when I am accelerating from a stop and isn't there if I accelerate quickly. Could this be a lifter problem as well? The problem got worse when I put on warm air intake. Please someone help me. I hate to see my car suffer like this.

wiseguy01
04-04-2008, 12:57 AM
hondas dont have lifters it would be valves and to see which one is giving you the prob pull a plug and check the condition and compare to the other cylinders and the one that looks the worst then that would be the cylinder with the prob like 1-2-3 are all fine and then 4 is all black white rusted or whatever the color could be valve maybe bent but check the plugs first then pull the valve cover to check for bent or cracked valve also white smoke i believe is oil so maybe the piston rings too maybe your driving it too hard

shadowed eminence
04-04-2008, 09:13 AM
hondas dont have lifters it would be valves and to see which one is giving you the prob pull a plug and check the condition and compare to the other cylinders and the one that looks the worst then that would be the cylinder with the prob like 1-2-3 are all fine and then 4 is all black white rusted or whatever the color could be valve maybe bent but check the plugs first then pull the valve cover to check for bent or cracked valve also white smoke i believe is oil so maybe the piston rings too maybe your driving it too hard
Thanks I appreciate the help. I know the rings are gone. I am doing a whole bottom end replacement this summer ( Piston, rods and rings). So I understand that I will be burning smoke till than. I just didn't understand the dead spots. It's driving me crazy. But in another question, what would cause my idle to stutter a little bit. Could it be that same problem, with the valve? Sometimes I wonder if the ECU is going bad. I have it tuned right (intake valve is where it should be, so is the distributer, and the timing is on spot). Since tuning it, it got better, it doesn't jump around as much but I can't figure that out to. Ah, so many questions and not enough answers.

Greenblurr93
04-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Also could be valve seals. as for the 'dead spot' sounds like a basic tune up will fix that

shadowed eminence
04-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Also could be valve seals. as for the 'dead spot' sounds like a basic tune up will fix that
I just did a basic tune up and put on the warm air intake and the problem got worse.

Add your comment to this topic!