Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Did I make the Wrong Choice???

knightjp
04-03-2008, 12:04 AM
Hey guys,

I just bought an Alfa Romeo 156 2.5 V6 Q-System from the local dealer.

My dad was telling me that I should have gone for a Subaru that belonged to one of his friends from work.

So I had two choices....

1998 Subaru Impreza - Some Kit added, but no turbo on the engine.
2003 Alfa Romeo 156 - used car, maintained by dealerSo did I make the right or wrong choice???
If it is right... Great. If its wrong... It's an Alfa, I'll still be happy... :naughty:

Polygon
04-21-2008, 10:48 AM
You won't find too many people on here that know anything about Alfa's. As for the Subaru, you wouldn't like trying to change the spark plugs. I do like the looks of the Alfa. If I recall, Top Gear tested this car, perhaps it was one of the larger models? Anyhow, they thought it was a great car.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind having an Alfa if we got them in the states namely the 8C.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee9fac0/cmd.233/enclosure..ee9fac1

drunken monkey
04-21-2008, 02:51 PM
The 156 is a cracking car, especially in V6 mode. It can be a slightly nose heavy but the car doesn't suffer because of it and not as much as the 3.2 car does. Interior is as classy as you can get if you opt for the full leather and not much else comes close for style.

I have to say though, the Q-system is probably not the best choice of gearbox, assuming you had a choice. The manual is as easy as in my little toyota (although it feels as cramped as my little toyota around the pedals too) and their selespeed gearbox is one of the better mass market ones out there. The q-system is, even with the "manual control" just an automatic and a not very good one at that.

GForce957
04-21-2008, 11:39 PM
You won't find too many people on here that know anything about Alfa's. As for the Subaru, you wouldn't like trying to change the spark plugs. I do like the looks of the Alfa. If I recall, Top Gear tested this car, perhaps it was one of the larger models? Anyhow, they thought it was a great car.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind having an Alfa if we got them in the states namely the 8C.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee9fac0/cmd.233/enclosure..ee9fac1

Unfortunately that car has been sold out, even if you can afford the 250k or so to buy it. Luckily tho I believe the convertible version is coming our way.

knightjp
04-22-2008, 12:01 AM
I have to say though, the Q-system is probably not the best choice of gearbox, assuming you had a choice.... The q-system is, even with the "manual control" just an automatic and a not very good one at that.

On the Alfa owner forums, they adore the Q-System for its reliability. Even though the Selespeed is the more fun of the two... Its not reliable and is prone to alot of major repairs.
That said... we all agree that a manual gear is the more better of the choice. Too bad my license just says I can drive only Auto....

Add your comment to this topic!