Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Headlamps? 04TB

Khill
04-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Been looking to switch my old headlamps out for a while now and have been looking into sylvania silverstars. Anyone have anything to report on them? Anyone have any other suggestions?

What kind of bulbs would I need to replace the headlamps and the hi beams? It isn't listed in the manual, only the taillights are.

I have also heard good and bad things about HID lams, any thoughts?

thanks in advance

maxwedge
04-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Silstars last 7 months tops I gave up on them.

BRD
04-08-2008, 06:48 PM
I've had success with the Wagner OEM spec clones. All the chain auto stores carry them. The pkg identifies low or high beam. They run about $10 ea. The guy at O'Reilly's had a house brand that was a buck or two cheaper but he said Wagner's holds up better/longer. Max is right about the Silstars, basically a waste of $$$.

wardak33
04-10-2008, 11:02 AM
what about adding an HID (High Intesity Discharge) Kit? what are the downsides to that? thinking of buying one off ebay.

Khill
04-10-2008, 11:11 AM
HID bulbs use a plasma discharge rather than a halogen or xenon filament-bulb. This requires a ballast to control the reaction of the plasma which would need to be mounted somewhere near the bulb. The bulb would also generate lots more heat than a conventional lightbulb and has been known to melt fixtures... I looked into these, but couldn't see how the risks outweigh the possible cost... As for getting one of the 25, 50, 75 dollar kits on ebay, I would be very leary about considering those. Manufacturer HID kits can run you from 150 to 700 and way higher and you wont see them any lower. I'd assume that this is for a reason with the product. I certainly wouldn't buy them unless I could talk with someone else who did and has been using them for a while.

wardak33
04-10-2008, 12:01 PM
other than that, having and HID Kit is okay? some say it might blind other/oncoming drivers and that most HID kits aren't rated for SUV's. If not that, then the housing isn't made for HID lights...any opinion on that?

Lynn731
06-18-2010, 10:49 AM
I put silverstars in my 2003, like them fine. I also replaced the turn signal on the front, brake light on the rear with heavy duty bulbs that have two filament holders and stronger filaments. They are available at any auto store. They are also brighter that the bulbs that came on the truck. I like them a lot, too.:tongue:

Add your comment to this topic!