Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'98 lx 1.5L/5speed with scraping noise

watz528
04-02-2008, 09:04 AM
the first time I heard this noise I nearly jumped out of my skin. It's sounds like something in the tranny or motor is scraping. I didn't hear the noise until the car was moving but after it started and then I parked I could still hear it alittle bit. It's not a constant noise but more like something is turning out of balance and when it wobbles enough it scrapes.

I was gonna post about the p0505 code on it but that seems minor right now.

Doug Tatham
04-02-2008, 03:41 PM
The description isn't really helpful, but it may be the clutch or throwout bearing. I haven't much experience with the Mazda standard shift, but I've worked with other manual transmissions. It may also be that the exhaust system is dragging. from the description it's really hard to tell.

watz528
04-04-2008, 11:36 AM
You are probably right about the clutch or throw out bearing being the cause. last year the the clutch was replaced(I don't know about the throw out bearing) by a diy'er and it could be anything from cheap parts to a mistake putting it back together. It's a really strong and fast scrap when it happens. I'm positive it not coming from the exhaust system. Thanks for your post, much appreciated. Do you know how to check or add fluid in the tranny?

Doug Tatham
04-08-2008, 02:51 PM
With standard transmissions, there is usually a large bolt somewhere close to the bottom for draining it and a matching one about 3/4 of the way up for checking the level. I've never done it on a Mazda, but it's what I've run into before. The oil is usually good for at least 100k miles. It doesn't generally have to be replaced. I'd check your owners manual.

If the problem is the throwout bearing it should only scrape when you press the clutch. If there was a problem with the clutch replacement, it could be that the pressure plate or flywheel is loose. This should be checked because a failure would be really bad. Have your brakes checked to see if the rotors are bad. Check the drive shafts and the CV joints.

watz528
05-12-2008, 10:42 AM
I put a 28 ounce bottle of manual tranny fluid and it is still not up to the fill hole. That sucker was pretty darn low on fluid, not sure how that happened.
Anyhow, it is no longer making that god aweful noise. Thanks again.

Add your comment to this topic!