Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Firebird cuts out when engine is hot

dakumanchik
03-31-2008, 10:31 AM
97 Firebird runs great until temp gauge reads greater than 200 engine will miss a couple of times finally it will stall Cannot restart it Pull spug wire first coil pack No spark after cools starts v6? Ignition module checked GOOD but was checked when it was cold. No codes. New Coils/wires/plugs/ECM. Could BCM cause this problem... Security light is always on.... May have one than 1 problem... Someone said the ECM will shut down the ignition if the temp is too hot.. is that true.

wrightz28
03-31-2008, 04:20 PM
Someone said the ECM will shut down the ignition if the temp is too hot.. is that true.

No, it will illuminate the "Check Gauges" as a polite means of telling the Driver to wake up. :grinno:

Sounds like a classic ICM failure. :scents:

z28 boy
03-31-2008, 04:32 PM
u replaced the coil pack?.....ive seen heater coils be the cause of ur symptoms.

89IROC&RS
03-31-2008, 04:39 PM
just for fun, use a voltmeter to check your injector resistance.

i would tend to lean towards something on the engine itself failing with heat. failing at 200 wouldnt really indicate a safty shut off, even if such a thing existed. the engines normally operate at around 220. so shutting off at 200 wouldnt be a safty thing. however, electronic components are effected by temperature, and when electronics get hot they expand, which can cause a circuit failure. which on a sensor, or an injector, or a coil, leads to failed operation.

dakumanchik
04-02-2008, 08:09 AM
2 out 3 coil packs have been replaced. I had the ignition mudule checked but I need to have it checked when it is hot ... it checked Good cold ...

wrightz28
04-02-2008, 10:31 AM
I had the ignition mudule checked but I need to have it checked when it is hot ... it checked Good cold ...

You are 150% correct on that notion. :thumbsup:

Add your comment to this topic!