Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 G20 Turn Signal Switch

patlaw
03-31-2008, 09:36 AM
The switching mechanism for turning off the turn signal after a turn has stopped working on my 1995 G20 Van. How difficult is this problem to repair? Is it likely that something has broken or worn out, or is it likely that something has loosened?

My repair shop just replaced the idler assembly (?) in the steering system, and they aligned the steering wheel, but I believe the turn signal problem existed prior to their doing the work.

MT-2500
03-31-2008, 12:58 PM
Welcome to AF.
Does it still feel like it is turning on and off.
Any part of it working?
Have you checked fuses and flashers?
Still got brake lights?
4 way flasher stuck on?

patlaw
03-31-2008, 03:09 PM
Welcome to AF. Does it still feel like it is turning on and off.
Any part of it working? Have you checked fuses and flashers? Still got brake lights? 4 way flasher stuck on?
The turn signals work just fine. However, if I pull the lever down to make a left turn, when I have completed the turn and the steering wheel has return to the straight-ahead center position, the lever has not returned to its center-off position. The turn signal still blinks until I manually return it to the center-off position. A big part of the problem is that I put in a new flasher that is so quiet, I cannot hear when the turn signal is flashing.

MT-2500
03-31-2008, 07:59 PM
If no cancel on switch you may need a new turn signal switch.
MT

brcidd
03-31-2008, 08:30 PM
I just fixed the exact same thing on a '95 C Truck- the right hand turn canceling cog was missing a small spring- it came loose- that multifunction switch (wipers, cruise, turn signals, flashers, hi/low beam) is quite pricey- over $300 at a dealer- Autozone $162- Napa- $259 and they are on Ebay for $62- salvage yards want $50- but I opted to tear apart a spare I had from the last time I replaced one (it had the low beams inop)- so I took the springload cog mechansim out of my spare-and swapped it for the one in the truck- without having to unplug the one in the truck- you do have to remove the switch housing though to get to it- which means removing the steering wheel- But I will bet your spring has come unhooked like mine did. The spring is probably 1/4 inch long and maybe 1/8 inch round- very little and easy to drop- But, I figure I saved at least $70-100 by fixing the old one.....Just my thoughts- couldn't help but answer- when I just did it yesterday.......

Add your comment to this topic!