Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

defrost, vent and floor vents stuck on vent

izaquad
03-31-2008, 06:55 AM
I have a '98 windstar gl. No matter where I turn the selector knob it doesn't change the flow of air, blows only through the vents. I've read many other posts about air blowing through defrost vents. Could the diverter flap just be stuck? Any other suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

tartersauce
03-31-2008, 08:15 AM
I have a '98 windstar gl. No matter where I turn the selector knob it doesn't change the flow of air, blows only through the vents. I've read many other posts about air blowing through defrost vents. Could the diverter flap just be stuck? Any other suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

First check, Hissing sound while running under the dash.. Use a cut garden hose if its echoin and you can pin point it. One end of the hose to your EAR the other near each hose and vac pod.. all the hoses are pretty colors.. you can see them pretty well under there
Next would be under the hood.. You will see the hoses running into the inside of the firewall. I think one is pass side upper right under the wiper arm and PCM plug. Its about a foot deep under there, and a pain to reach. Follow those vac lines.. If I remember they are all colored under the dash and one color under the hood.

If the engine runs good, with no engine light, You should have penty of vac power.

Ther are a few vac pods under the dash, that control each. But if one has a leak, they all fail.

Do those simple things first, before you start messin with the knob as some are electronic, and some are just simple mech - connecting and switching vaccum to the correct hoses.

izaquad
03-31-2008, 10:01 AM
We took the switches out and unhooked the vac lines. There is vacuum up to the switch, but doesn't sound very loud. If you hold your finger over the vac line, engine sound doesn't change. Could this mean there is a vac leak?

Add your comment to this topic!