Un-F**cking-Believable

projectgsr
03-30-2008, 12:31 AM
Ok so I am somewhat car savvy. I mean come on, I've done everything from intake manifold/header/intake/cat back install to full on motor swap with LSD tranny in my back yard. But here's my problem. Yesterday my GSR started sputtering and blowing out white smoke. So today I rented a pressure gauge from Auto zone to check my cylinder compression in hopes that I don't have a blown head gasket. I was later planning on doing a leak down test. Anyways check this out. I'm threading the compression gauge hose into my spark plug socket when I feel it click. I'm thinking what the heck right? So I try un-threading it to take it out but it won't friggin come out. I think it's because of the way that the hose threads on it are. There are two different sizes of threads on the hose. So then I get pissed and use all of my strength to try to pull it out after I had un-threaded it as best as I could. PLEASE somebody help me. Thanks in advance.

BullShifter
03-30-2008, 09:21 AM
Sounds like you will be doing a head gasket any ways. I don't know if you got the compression tester out, but I'm sure the threads are jacked. Best way to have that repaired is by a machine shop with the head off the car. Good reason to do some head work while your at it.

projectgsr
03-30-2008, 10:22 PM
Sounds like you will be doing a head gasket any ways. I don't know if you got the compression tester out, but I'm sure the threads are jacked. Best way to have that repaired is by a machine shop with the head off the car. Good reason to do some head work while your at it.

Ok, so today I started to pull everything off the engine because of your advice to just go ahead and take the head to a machine shop. But when I got to the intake manifold I noticed something odd. First I must mention that I have a Skunk2 intake manifold with a composite (like plastic) gasket. Ok, so when I took off the manifold I noticed that it was green instead of the usual white. I also noticed that pretty much every bolt that connected the intake manifold to the engine head was VERY loose (to say the least). I'm thinking that the only reason that I was throwing off all that white smoke and my car was running crappy was that somehow coolant was sneaking past that coolant passage in the intake manifold into my cylinder head because of the fact that my manifold was soooo loose. To my defense I must also note that when I first installed the Skunk2 manifold I tightened the bolts pretty damn good, short of damaging the aluminum. I'm thinking that either they loosened up because of vibration or because of temperature. Anyway's, please help. Thanks in advance.

Greenblurr93
03-31-2008, 01:04 PM
Next time use a threadlock when installing

BullShifter
03-31-2008, 11:13 PM
Ok, so when I took off the manifold I noticed that it was green instead of the usual white. I also noticed that pretty much every bolt that connected the intake manifold to the engine head was VERY loose (to say the least). I'm thinking that the only reason that I was throwing off all that white smoke and my car was running crappy was that somehow coolant was sneaking past that coolant passage in the intake manifold into my cylinder head because of the fact that my manifold was soooo loose. To my defense I must also note that when I first installed the Skunk2 manifold I tightened the bolts pretty damn good, short of damaging the aluminum. I'm thinking that either they loosened up because of vibration or because of temperature. Anyway's, please help. Thanks in advance.

That's a very good posibility. Was the car going through a lot of antifreeze?

projectgsr
03-31-2008, 11:26 PM
Yeah I was going through alot of coolant. Also the day prior to this happening my car started to overheat. As soon as I noticed I pulled over and let it cool down. Then I filled up the radiator with water. The car ran fine the rest of the day. But then the next day I noticed a crap load of white smoke coming out my muffler and the car kept hesitating.

LOL, well now I have bigger problems because of that damn compression gauge hose being stuck in my engine head. Do you know of anyother way to get that out without having to take the head to a machine shop?

Add your comment to this topic!