Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Stiff steering after repair? Normal?

Trail__Rider
03-27-2008, 10:12 AM
A couple of days ago, my 1997 GMC Sierra blew power steering fluid all over the ground. The repair shop I took it to said the power steering pump was fine but that the gearing between the steering column and the power steering module (I think this is what he said) needed to be replaced. When I got it back, the steering was really tight and stiff. Before the blow-out and repair, I could turn the wheel quite easily while it was parked - like with just my index finger. Now it requires more force. I can tell the power steering is working but not to the level it was before.

Is this normal? I had read that the truck has speed sensitive steering. Is there a chance that its not working now? How can I tell?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

PeteA216
03-27-2008, 11:12 AM
If it's anything like older systems, then he may have over tightened the gears in the gearbox that's linked to the power steering pump. The looser the gears are the easier it is to steer, but the more road wandering you'll get. The tighter the gears, the more precise and touchy steering you'll get, but will be firmer to turn.

maxwedge
03-27-2008, 11:27 AM
There is a possibility the VAS has a problem or they replaced components that are not compatible with the system, talk to the shop about your concerns.

Add your comment to this topic!