Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Gallardo info . . . from autoweek

raven1822
02-28-2003, 01:26 AM
The following is from Autoweek's website . . . following the text I raised a couple questions/points.

The Gallardo, the new "baby" Lamborghini previously known as project L140, will be unveiled. The aluminum-bodied two-seat coupe will compete with the Ferrari 360 Modena and the Porsche GT2. The price will be around e120,000 plus tax in Europe. The Gallardo has a rear, longitudinally mounted engine coupled with permanent four-wheel drive and electronic stability control. It is powered by an all-new, 500hp, 5.0-liter, 40-valve V-10 engine mated with a new six-speed manual gearbox. The gearbox is mounted longitudinally behind the engine and will be offered with traditional manual command or in a sequential version with paddles behind the steering wheel. This system is Magneti Marelli's Selespeed and was renamed "e-gear" by Lamborghini.

The Gallardo is the first Lamborghini designed by Italdesign, though not by Giorgetto Giugiaro. Instead, Giorgetto's son Fabrizio gets credit for his first production sports car. The Gallardo has traditional doors, hinged at the base of the A-pillar, and not the typical scissors doors of such big Lambos as the Countach, Diablo and Murcielago. Production will be 800-850 units this year and 1,300 in 2004. Installed capacity is six units a day or 1,320 per year. But that could rise to eight units a day if needed, or almost 1,800 units a year.

In keeping with company tradition, the name of the car derives from a fighting bull breed. The Gallardo breed was established in Spain in the 18th century by Antonio Gallardo and was later bought by Don Antonio Miura, the same Miura used by Ferruccio Lamborghini to name his most famous sports car.

Talking points:

Do not look for the striking roadster version of the Murcielago in Geneva. The roadster was unveiled at the Detroit auto show in January as concept car. Lamborghini won't take it to Switzerland so as not to overshadow the Gallardo.

What type of vehicle will Lamborghini's third product be? An internal debate is ongoing. The most likely solution is an extreme sport-utility to rival the Porsche Cayenne. The idea of a four-seat coupe seems to have lost ground.

Raven writes . . .

The Gallardo has a rear, longitudinally mounted engine . . . Is this correct? Is it not mid-mounted?

The gearbox is mounted longitudinally behind the engine . . . Since the gear box is behind the engine wouldn't have to be mid-mounted and not rear mounted like a Porsche?? (by the way where is the 911's gear box . . . in front of the engine, just curious)

will be offered with traditional manual command or in a sequential version with paddles behind the steering wheel . . . I thought I heard each car would have both the manual and the paddle, with either being used?

The Gallardo has traditional doors, hinged at the base of the A-pillar, and not the typical scissors doors of such big Lambos as the Countach, Diablo and Murcielago. . . . I don't think I like this, Lambo's seem funny to me without the trademark scissor doors, it is part of the fun!!!!

Your comments . . . Enjoy!!!

TexasF355F1
02-28-2003, 10:29 AM
I'm not sure what they mean exactly by rear mounted engine. I think they may just mean like the Murci. I doubt that the Gallardo would have both manual and sequential together, mainly b/c those together would probably add some weight. Somehow they would have to have a computer set up for you to press a button to switch b/w manual and semi which to me would add a lot of unneeded weight. I agree I wish it had traditional scissor doors or at least something similar, its a Lambo trademark and they should keep it. Well heres my 2 cents.:)

Veyron
03-04-2003, 01:12 PM
The Gallardo looks much better than the Murcielago IMO. Ferrari are already developing the Modena 420 which has 475 HP, and a redesigned body will be coming soon also. They don't want Lambo to get the edge in that market level.:)

lotustt
03-04-2003, 03:01 PM
not every lambo came with scissor doors in the past, its just brainwashed in everyones heads now since the coutach. but other lambo's did exist and with normal type opening doors.

DigitalOxygen
03-04-2003, 03:11 PM
Yeah but scissor doors are a Lamborghini trademark almost, however they are usually reserved for the highest model in the lineup thus the Murciélago. This may be what they are sticking with and to be honest I admire them for it, as well as the design they have put out, it's just pure Lamborghini in every way.

Sean
03-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Remember that the Gallardo is a successor to the Jalpa, which had traditional doors.

SuPeRcAr_MaN
03-04-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Sean Quinn
Remember that the Gallardo is a successor to the Jalpa, which had traditional doors.

I don't care what its successor was, it needs Lambo doors. :mad:

Veyron
03-05-2003, 06:10 AM
Lamborghini is the only PURE SPORTSCAR left on the planet!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Explain your statement!:rolleyes:

arthur12187
03-08-2003, 05:06 AM
guys is it just me or does this car looks a bit odd in the back?

SuPeRcAr_MaN
03-08-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by arthur12187
guys is it just me or does this car looks a bit odd in the back?

A few people think it looks weird. A little too 'square'. I think it looks fine. It blends right in with the rest of the gorgeous edgy body lines. I love every single part of this car... except the doors... ;)

AmErIcAnMuScLe813
03-08-2003, 08:19 PM
To be honest I think Lamborghini could have done a better job with the styling. Just my opinion.

Add your comment to this topic!