Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission knock - potential new purchase

DJ Atom
03-25-2008, 03:38 PM
I am in the midst of buying a 2004 Lincoln LS V6. The car is absolutely immaculate. It has 23,000 miles, not a scratch or crease in the leather, purrs like a kitten and looks flawless, and rides great. My only issue is the car has a rebuilt title. I saw the pictures of the wreck and it was not too bad, from what I can tell. It was hit in the front, the bumper, DR side headlight and grill were replaced, also the front axel from what I was told. The check engine light is on, and the guy told me he was told it was a mass aiflow sensor. I guess that could be possible, from what the lincoln dealer told me. My main issue is I hear a light knock when I shifted the car into gear, and as far as I can remember when I stopped the car at a light. I would have to drive it again to know for sure. The guy is asking $10,500 for the car, I dont know if a rebuilt car is worth that, maybe if it is absolutely perfect, but I am not sure. If someone could give me some insight it would be greatly appreciated....Thanks in advance..Adam

shorod
03-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Welcome to the forum!

As you've probably noticed, I moved your post to a new thread since it wasn't really related to the original thread.

As for the cause of the check engine light, I'd never suggest you take the seller's word for the cause. If the seller really understood why the light was on and it is such a simple fix, why would they not fix the issue and recoup more than the part cost in the price of the car? Take the car for a test drive to your local auto parts store and have them scan the codes for no charge. Get the exact code, in the form P0123 and post here. Or, since this will be a pretty large investment, pay the $100 or so to have the car professionallly inspected. At worst, you'll have some negotiating topics, not to mention the increased confidence in your decision to purchase or not.

The transmissions are probably the weakest point on these cars. Granted, most of the bugs were worked out for the 2003-2006 models, but nothing is perfect, and a new tranny can run around $5k installed.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!