Reset Trouble codes?

STEVEO4025
03-23-2008, 10:08 PM
How do I clear thje trouble codes out of the computer? Or how long does it take after a repair for the computer to not pull the code anymore?

mightymoose_22
03-23-2008, 10:29 PM
You can clear codes with a code reader if you have one... or you can disconnect the battery for awhile.
If the code continues to come back then the problem remains.
Some codes will go away on their own after the repair.
What code do you have? What did you do to fix it?

STEVEO4025
03-24-2008, 12:54 AM
I had autozone look at it and they told me it said System Running too Lean. No more detail than that. Ive changed the PCV valve and fuel filter. The problem was the engine at first would get stuck at around 2400 rpms while coasting to a stop. then i noticed it idling at like under 1000. i would have to keep on the gas for the engine not to stall. Im not too awfully car savvy, so more detailed advice would be appreciated

tripletdaddy
03-24-2008, 02:18 AM
I'm not sure about the high rpm, but the code and other symptoms sound like you probably have a vacuum leak. With the engine running, listen carefully for a hissing or air sucking sound. Somewhere you might have a vacuum line, hose, tube, connection, boot, something leaking, disconnected, split, dried cracked. If you find nothing, some suggest spraying carburater cleaner or starting fluid around the intake manifold and all the hoses etc. If you hear the engine change speed abruptly, you sprayed the leak. Try this and let us know what you find. Good Luck

STEVEO4025
03-24-2008, 11:34 AM
After checking what you guys said to, I noticed when i hit the accelerator, i would hear a quick hissing/sucking sound, but it would stop once i let off the gas, does that mean anything or is it normal?

mightymoose_22
03-24-2008, 12:14 PM
Not normal.
Look for a vacuum leak as suggested.
Spraying some soapy water works well too. Before you start all that, first check the vacuum hoses starting at the vacuum port on top of the intake manifold. Carefully check all hoses for any cracks/holes. If your car has an elbow piece on top of the manifold, it is common to find a split on the back of the elbow.

STEVEO4025
03-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Well it would appear that it was just a simple fix. I guess a hose was loose from the throttle body? Something along those lines. It was also pulling the code Mass Air Flow regulator intermittent, which I think was just from the system being too lean. But everything is fixed, thanx for all your guys help. Steveo

Add your comment to this topic!