bent valves on a 97 honda civic lx........Help

hmongstang
03-23-2008, 02:58 PM
I have a 1997 Honda Civic Lx (D16y7). It was running very good until a few weeks ago, it won't start. so this is what i did:

1. Checked (valves bent on intake side), changed valves and timing belt, runs great for a day then died two days later.

2. checked (valves bent again on intake side) and there were also some sticky brown liquid sticking around the valves.

3. so i thought something is wrong with the whole engine or head, so i went to buy
an engine to replace mine. it ran fine for a day and it won't start again. i checked and the valves bent the same as the old one. So i returned the engine to the shop and pickup another one. i had it install and it ran fine for about two hours before it die again. So i opened the head and found the same problem that i had with the first two engines.

I already replaced the ignition cap and rotor, but not the Ignition Distributor. also, i checked the fuel injectors and spark plug wires and they all work fine.

So what do you guys think the problem might be? im thinking that it might be the
timing tensioner or the ignition distributor.

Please help,

2.2 Straight six
03-23-2008, 03:06 PM
you managed to bend the valves on not one, but three engines in succession?

CivicSpoon
03-23-2008, 09:13 PM
Did the same person put on the timing belt each time? If so, then that person should never touch a car again in their life. Your distributor isn't going to make you bend valves. Other than that, there's got to be part of the story missing, because valves don't just bend on 3 different engines like that. Seriously, that just doesn't happen unless someone really screwed something up bad.

wiseguy01
03-24-2008, 11:41 PM
is the ecu the same try changing the ecu maybe defective

slideways...
03-26-2008, 06:00 PM
ecu? why would that matter? its the timing belt/tensioner/ect. theres just nothing else it could be. or maybe this guy just likes missing shifts/shifting into 3rd instead of 5th gear when going 90mph.

Add your comment to this topic!