Rebuilt title

Matt4923
03-22-2008, 11:25 PM
I found what I think to be a really sweet deal on a 2004 Honda Civic LX. Only $9000 and about 8900 miles! After seeing I was really interested, the guy selling it told me it had a rebuilt title. It drove really well and smooth, I wouldn't have known had he not told me. I'm not super ignorant when it comes to cars but I am a little nervous now, what should I look for before I make a purchase? The frame seemed fine, he said he replaced the hood, front bumper and one of the headlights. To me that doesn't seem like it would deserve a rebuilt status. I imagine I will own this car for a while so the resale value doesn't bother me. Any input?

Ray paulsen
03-26-2008, 09:51 AM
I really like your question and here are a few observations.

1 ) you would not have known about the rebuilt title had seller not told you ? , yes you would as the title will state rebuilt therefore dont consider the seller an angel by telling you up front.

2 ) Yes it's a sweet deal except for that little nasty word " rebuilt " which in my mind means the same as salvage and I am happy to note that your a little nervous now.

3 ) Buying a Rebuilt vehicle one can save a fair amount of money and yes you can get lucky, but overall trust me the law of average is not on your side, if you want to pursue the transaction take the vehicle to an independent body shop for frame damage and a complete report.

Personally I would never consider buying Rebuilt or Salvage no matter how good the price, and for consumers that dont understand the title here is my version in layman's language.

If you went shopping for a chair that cost $100. and right next to it the identical chair $40. but the sticker said all 4 legs were broken at one point but now glued together and declared safe... THATS SALVAGE...how safe would you feel sitting on it, never mind going down the hwy at 70 mph

PS... The resale value dont bother you ? , perhaps not being around for the resale value may bother you ?

Matt4923
04-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Although your sarcasm is lame, thank you for your response.

turninghawk
04-06-2008, 02:45 PM
A rebuilt title can indicate one of three things:

1. The car has been in an accident and 'totalled' by an insurance company. It is then rebuilt, and a branded title is issued.

2. A vehicle has been in a flood, causing unknown damage (especially electrical).

3. A vehicle is a recovered theft -- possibly with no damage, but possibly with hidden or internal damage.

Have it checked out very well, perhaps even by 2 separate sources.

Also remember, it doesn't take that much damage to total out a vehicle that is nearly 5 years old, and a fairly inexpensive vehicle to start with.

Good luck to you.

Add your comment to this topic!