99 Explorer LOUD pulsing hum and vibration from the front end

stangsvt0427
03-22-2008, 03:56 PM
I wanted to know if someone can narrow it down for me. I think its something to to with the front differential but im not 100%. It a loud hum that you can feel everywhere in the truck. The 4x4 works but there was a thud a while ago and the noise is only getting worse. Do you think it could be my front differential or maybe something a bit cheaper? It does it at all time while driving. I know its not the tires either. Let me know what you all think.. Thanks

haydn2524
03-27-2008, 04:45 PM
I wanted to know if someone can narrow it down for me. I think its something to to with the front differential but im not 100%. It a loud hum that you can feel everywhere in the truck. The 4x4 works but there was a thud a while ago and the noise is only getting worse. Do you think it could be my front differential or maybe something a bit cheaper? It does it at all time while driving. I know its not the tires either. Let me know what you all think.. Thanks
Hey i have a 99 ford explorer xlt on 22"s and it makes that same rattle. It also idles low and sometimes stalls if it is just parked. Did yours ever have this problem? I cant figure out why it stalls. i already replaced the throttle position sensor but it did not rid of the stalling problem. i can't figure out what it is causing it to stall.

wafrederick
03-27-2008, 06:38 PM
It could be a bad wheel bearing and that is one indication of one.

shorod
03-27-2008, 08:11 PM
Hey i have a 99 ford explorer xlt on 22"s and it makes that same rattle. It also idles low and sometimes stalls if it is just parked. Did yours ever have this problem? I cant figure out why it stalls. i already replaced the throttle position sensor but it did not rid of the stalling problem. i can't figure out what it is causing it to stall.

I don't think a wheel bearing would cause stalling. ;)

Other than the stalling and low idle, does the engine run smoothly? If so, do you have any non-OEM components under the hood such as an oiled air filter, aftermarket exhaust, "chip" on the intake air temp sensor plug, etc.? How about maintenance? When's the last time a tune up was performed? Do you routinely use fuel injector cleaner? Which engine does your Explorer have?

Initial suggestions would be to check the Idle Air Control (IAC) for a bad servo or carbon build up. You could also have a vacuum leak or possible a dirty Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor. Spark plugs or restricted fuel filter are possibilities as well. Lots of options, for more detail from us, you need to provide some.

-Rod

stangsvt0427
03-28-2008, 08:09 PM
I have never had a stalling problem. Sounds like a fuel issue to me.

stangsvt0427
03-29-2008, 02:17 PM
So any clue of how much labor is involved with doing this?

inafogg
03-29-2008, 02:56 PM
hey stang it could be wheel bearing as wafred suggested have you checked
it

senrab
03-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Does the noise change if running down a highway and you curve right or left?
Mine did and I changed the wheel bearing / speed sensor and it fixed it.

Good Luck

Add your comment to this topic!