Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Explorer ocassionly will not start.

Indy9727
03-21-2008, 09:54 AM
:screwy: My explorer on ocassion will not start. When I turn ignition switch, I have power to everything but engine will not even try to turn over. It is like no juice going to starter. I have cleaned battery post, wiggled wires under hood, slam hood shut and than all of a sudden it will start (just by luck I'm sure). When this starting problem occurs I have had someone turn ignition switch and I can hear switch/relay click in the main fuse block under hood and also by steering colum. Could this problem be a relay (in the main fuse block) or the starter ignition switch on steering colum?

shorod
03-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Sounds like a perfect example of a worn out starter motor. Often times, on a tired starter, if you tap it with a blunt object, the starter will spin. This is due to either worn brushes in the starter motor that don't make good contact with the commutator until they are jostled, or a switch contact within the solenoid that don't quite allow current to pass until they are jostled.

Most likely, if you replace the starter motor assembly, you'll be good to go.

-Rod

Indy9727
03-25-2008, 08:55 PM
I really do not think it is the starter. It seems like there is no juice going to the starter at all.

shorod
03-25-2008, 09:35 PM
Well, the quick way to determine if it's getting power is to get out the multimeter or test light and check. The statement that sometimes you slam the hood and it will work though sounds an aweful lot like tapping it with a blunt object.... Common test for a bad starter.

-Rod

shorod
03-25-2008, 10:59 PM
One other somewhat common cause of a no start condition and lack of power to the starter would be the Transmission Range Sensor (TRS). These are also referred to as the Digital TRS (DTRS) or the park/neutral safety switch.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!