Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Door leaking water. Need suggestions.

linkin_ls
03-20-2008, 10:35 AM
I have a 2001 LS....I'm having a problem with water leaking in at the top of drivers side door..it leaks down into the drivers side door pocket.....any suggestions?

shorod
03-20-2008, 01:21 PM
Sounds like your username should be leakin_ls. Sorry, poor attempt at a joke.

What you probably need to do is inspect the area where you suspect the water is coming in. Check for voids or damage to the weatherstrip. Also inspect for debris sandwiched in the weatherstripping.

Is water puddling in the door pocket, but you don't know where it's coming in, or can you see it tricking down the window and into the pocket?

Does your car have a sunroof? If so, maybe one of the drains is plugged and somehow the water is leaking to the pocket. More likely though the water would puddle on the floor of the car.

Is the window rolling all the way up? Maybe your window regulator is cracked, which is quite common, and the window is not rolling up completely or rolling up straight. There could be a gap at the top edge of the window glass.

-Rod

danielsatur
03-20-2008, 05:34 PM
WATER TEST:
This could be fun!
Tools - Water hose,two people,and a six pack of beer.
Objective:
To see if water is coming in through the window,or door.
1) Using the water hose soak the window only.
Only one water hose operator,the other person is looking for leaks on the inside.

CAUTION: No drinking on the Job.

Checking the door gasket is a little more work!

2) Using the water hose,start at the rear view mirror.
Soak only six inches at a time,than move up until you find the leak.
OPEN the door and dry gasket if needed until you find the bad spot.
3) When you pin-pointed the problem,than you can drink the Beer.

Questions:
(a) Did the previous owner hang on the door thus the door might be sagging a little.
(b) How old is the car?
(c) Is the gasket aged or just worn out?

CAUTION:
When opening and closing doors,make sure windows are up.
I have see people damage window regulators by slamming car doors with windows down.

linkin_ls
03-21-2008, 03:07 PM
Hey Rod....Leakin LS...thats funny...really. anyway, I have noticed that the carpet gets wet...I'm not exactly sure where the water is coming from..but..the water doesnt drip from the window...I noticed that the frame between the window and windshield is wet about half way down and that drips on the edge of the dash dripping down into the door pocket and floor....does that make sense...it's hard to describe.

linkin_ls
03-21-2008, 03:09 PM
I guess I will have to try the "MCGIVER WATER TEST" : )

shorod
03-21-2008, 06:11 PM
Sounds to me like one of the drains for the sunroof, if you have a sunroof, is disconnected or plugged on the driver's side.

If you don't notice the water when running the hose over the door seal and around the windshield, then try running the hose over the sunroof.

-Rod

salt_shaker
04-28-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm having the same problem on a 2003. I've had it before and the dealer cleared the drain under warranty. Any suggestions on how to clear it myself?
thanks,

danielsatur
04-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Air pressure works good!

shorod
04-28-2008, 06:43 PM
If you are trying to use air pressure to clear the drain, you may want to apply the air to the exit point though to blow the debris back out the way it came in. If you blow from the roof down, you may force the drain tube off of the sunroof and end up with a wet headliner.

-Rod

salt_shaker
04-29-2008, 08:17 AM
do you know the best way to get at either end of the hose? someone told me to try pouring water over the drain to see if it drains out behind the front tire. if not, its probably plugged. and to remove the sun visor, then pull the headliner down a bit to get at the drain / hose. does that sound right? thanks.

shorod
04-29-2008, 12:46 PM
I haven't looked for the exit points of the drain. I would expect there is one forward and one middle on each side, so probably behind the front tire on each side and probably one that goes down each pillar between the front and rear doors and exits somewhere below. And, yes, you probably will need to remove the visors and lower the headliner to get to the hose.

-Rod

danielsatur
04-29-2008, 04:02 PM
The drains,were on a Three door 1979 Ford Mustang.
Action Taken:
1) Removed Sun roof.
2) 32lbs of Air pressure right to the drain Tubes.
3) Poor a little water to make sure it Drains.

Note: You probably could use a insulated copper electrical wire to snake out the drains.

itmakesmesmile
06-30-2008, 01:49 PM
I have a 2004 Lincoln LS and had my front pockets on the both doors fill with water after sitting in the rain. Took it to the dealer and was told probably clogged drain holes. Nope. Turns out after two trips to the dealer that there are two drain hoses that run along side of the sunroof. It seems that they had shrunk about 1-1/2" and came unplugged from the drain holes. They replaced the hoses and no more water.

shorod
06-30-2008, 09:59 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Thank you for sharing a useful tip for your first post!

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!