Check Engine Code P1259

NewHondadriver
03-20-2008, 11:19 AM
Quick Question.

I went to an autoparts store to do a diagnostic on my check engine light and this code came up: p1259

He told me the system didnt tell me whats wrong but it gave me this code. He told me to go online and see what it tells me, so here i am.

I drive a 2000 Honda Accord 2.3 5speed 4door sedan
It has 99950 miles on it.

The light only flashes at me - one long flash, then 10 shorter flashes. Then it disappears and doesnt show up until i start the car again.

I bought the car last october 2007 with 93000 on it and the light never showed up until about 3 weeks ago.

Any suggestions?

I did find that the code points to the VTEC system but that is so vague.

Greenblurr93
03-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Does it say if its the Solenoid or the pressure switch?

jeffcoslacker
03-20-2008, 01:44 PM
P1259 Immobilizer to PCM Signal Error

This is what my reference shows for 1259....would be a fault in the passive security module or it's wiring to the PCM...

jeffcoslacker
03-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Huh...ok I checked another source and got this

P1259 VTEC System Malfunction (Acura, Honda)
Non-specific like you said.

You blast on it lately and see if the VTEC is working? Someone here will tell you, I'm not familiar with this, but I guess there's a screen on the solenoid that can get clogged or something?

NewHondadriver
03-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Please forgive my lack of car knowledge, however, Im eager to learn.

When you say blast on it and see if the vtec is working; are you implying have i "floored the accelerator and heard it kick in"?

If so, what would I be listening for?

Again, sorry if i sound like a housewife >.<

jeffcoslacker
03-20-2008, 07:45 PM
Please forgive my lack of car knowledge, however, Im eager to learn.

When you say blast on it and see if the vtec is working; are you implying have i "floored the accelerator and heard it kick in"?

If so, what would I be listening for?

Again, sorry if i sound like a housewife >.<

When you mash it, the VTEC will kick in at some point (sorry can't remember what rpm it begins at) and you'll feel the motor start to pull stronger and the intake growl will get deeper and more agressive sounding as the VTEC alters cam timing...

Hit it hard from a stop, stay in the gas hard enough to force it to stay in first if it's an automatic, or keep it in first if manual, and let it wind out to 5500 rpm or so before allowing a shift, and see if you feel and hear the surge...if you drive the car pretty conservatively and the VTEC mechanism doesn't see much action, this might be just what it needs if it's just sticking a bit or has a gunked up solenoid...

Do you have the oil changed regularly? The VTEC is oil pressure activated, dirty oil and sludge can cause faults....

NewHondadriver
03-21-2008, 09:14 AM
I change my oil every 2500 - 3000 miles religiously. - but i mentioned i have only had this car for 6 months or so

Last weekend i changed my oil and i just finally figured out how to reset the Check engine light. Since i know the code that the system was giving me i figured that a safe bet and see if the light trips on agains. So far it hasnt; but i'll give your recommendations a try.

The car is a 5speed manual so it will be fairly easy to get the engine around 5500 rpm off the bat, as you mentioned.

In other forums, some have mentioned shining a flashlight down the oil resevoir and looking for the screen. Is this where the solenoid is? Do you have a better recommendation for checking how dirty the solenoid is?

Lastly, for clarification, this is my first manual transmission vehicle Ive ever drove/owned. Also, I live in Minnesota where we load the roads with salt and other de-icers. So a combination of being a new stick-shifter and wet, icey roads allows me to rev the engine pretty high without intentionally doing so, due to slippage and ametuerism.

I'll report back about the vtec kicking in when i do a little test driving later today.

Again, thanks for the imput.

somick
03-21-2008, 11:17 AM
I think your 2000 is the same generation as my 1999. The VTEC solenoind is located at the top of the left hand side of the engine right below the valve cover. One and a half inch cylinder. If you look at the engine it is closer to the fire wall. Haynes recomends cleaning the solenoid's screen.

I would give it a shot.

Good luck,

Sam

Greenblurr93
03-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Taken from another thread:

http://a160.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/93/l_a9f003fc6257e7183db94622f9b2552f.jpg

NewHondadriver
03-24-2008, 08:40 AM
UPDTATE:

Well I gave the "mash method" a try to see if I can hear the vtec kick in. I couldnt really hear or feel a difference when the rpm's reved up around 5500. I even gave my father a little ride to see if he could hear anything or feel anything. And he said no. HOwever, the light has yet to turn back on since I reset it.

Now another question:
Does this system have anything to do with the timing belt? I know that i need to replace it around 100000 miles, so maybe the CEL tunring on is an indication that the timing belt is nearing its end of life and i need to get it replaced before all hell breaks loose.

Also:
I have yet to check out the solenoid and pressure switch, as shown above. I plan out checking the condition of the screen when i can find time this week. I will report back soon.

Greenblurr93
03-24-2008, 10:59 AM
A partially worn timing belt will not trip a CEL

Add your comment to this topic!