Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I have engine problems

Lyken
03-19-2008, 05:40 PM
Ok well, my car died the other day, it wanted to turn but just couldn't and sounded like it was doing it really slow.

Well what i'm pretty sure is who was helping me with my car, well.... they put 8 qrts of oil in the engine and drove it for about an hour and a half...
I found this out and we drained it right away and it started just fine the next day, and drove fine. then on my way home from work it broke down. I had some mechanics look into it and i need a whole new engine or spend a lot of money to have it rebuilt.

So can anyone tell me where I can find a cheap or at least decent engine... or even something where i can take advantage of this and throw in a better engine.

Thanks for the help..

89 Daytona Shelby
2.5L, 3 speed automatic transmission.

Let me know please and i need to hurry because I need my car back soon... i'm walking four miles everyday to work and four back so speedy answers would be greatly appreciated.

rhandwor
03-19-2008, 08:04 PM
Go to Advance and get a price for a rebuilt long block. This will give you a price comparison. I don't trust junk yard engines especially if your paying somebody to do the work. They only will give you another engine.
I'm suspious of the people who said you need another engine. Excess oil would probably blow out a seal not ruin an engine.

Lyken
03-26-2008, 01:38 PM
Well I deliver parts to the mechanics that looked at my vehicle so I do trust them on what they say. They said rebuilding the engine would get pretty spendy because I'm probablly going to need a new crankshaft and some other stuff and he said I should buy a long block becuase the 2.5l with the turbos crack heads...

And this advance place is a website or automotive store?

I looked around and found a short block for $1700 but I'm not sure where to keep looking.

rhandwor
03-26-2008, 06:02 PM
Advance Auto is a parts store like Auto Zone both compete. Call some local machine shops and get estimates. Try same company who quoted a short block.
I have bought short blocks and had a valve job done at a machine shop, Igot a pressure test on the heads at this time. They also resurfaced them.
Ask your friends where they got them.
I never bought an engine from Advanced but a friend did and was satisfied.
His son trashed an engine every 4 months. He tried various rebuilders but his son tore all of them up. Eventually he grew up and it stopped. I would have made him pay for them himself.

PWMAN
03-28-2008, 08:12 AM
Honestly unless you can do the work yourself it's not worth it. These cars are not worth a lot of money, you can find a another daytona for under $1000 anywhere. And the rebuilt engine alone will cost you atleast that much and then that over again for installation.

Add your comment to this topic!