Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need help with 12" sub selection.

Shortbus
02-27-2003, 09:35 AM
Looking for some suggestions here.

I have a 92 regular cab silverado.
I have a sealed dual 12" box behind the seat with approx 1.2' cubic feet of air space per speaker.
The box is 1 piece with a divider in the middle.

My amp is a 150 x 2 rms and I have it hooked up with the left channel running the left speaker and the right
channel running the right speaker. I guess the standard hookup.

I have been using my friends Punch XLC 4812's for awhile and they sound good, but he is going to
be needing them back pretty soon, so my question is Budget Minded what brand, ect. ect. should I
go back with.

I have looked on crutchfield and visited the local audio shops but would rather hear any opinions
from ppl who have had a setup like this or have an unbiased opinion on speaker choice. I.E. someone
not trying to sell me a speaker.

PaulD
02-27-2003, 03:49 PM
crutchfield is very expensive for mail order. If you're amp is bridgeable, the way to get power out of it is to bridge the channels into one then hook your subs in parrallel. Your amp must be stable to 2 ohms mono to do this, but you might almost quadruple it's output.

Shortbus
02-27-2003, 03:59 PM
Agree, it is good for comparing and I presume reliable specs on products and thats about it.

My amp is a USAcoustics 2150 which I bought 3 or 4 years ago. I hope to save some cash and upgrade it, I just upgraded the deck to a Sony Explod Cd tuner.

I have heard good things about the MTX amps, supposedly the tech engineer that designed and built fosgate amps is now working for MTX, whether there is any truth to that or not I don't know.

I have considered going with MTX 12's but the entry level only handle 150 rms and the next step MTX's are way out of my price range.:(

Add your comment to this topic!