Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 4.0 sohc automatic 4x4

matt500
03-18-2008, 11:12 PM
i am looking to see if there is a way to make it 2wd in stead of auto i know the 97 98 had 2wd 4hi 4lo can i just change the switch mine says auto 4hi 4 lo with out damageing any thing i dont want to brake any thing but i would rather be able to have 2wd 4hi 4lo dont much care for new set up no company seems to make a conversin kit like the explorer just not the set up on the 4wd

TeamExploder
03-19-2008, 06:30 AM
i am looking to see if there is a way to make it 2wd in stead of auto i know the 97 98 had 2wd 4hi 4lo can i just change the switch mine says auto 4hi 4 lo with out damageing any thing i dont want to brake any thing but i would rather be able to have 2wd 4hi 4lo dont much care for new set up no company seems to make a conversin kit like the explorer just not the set up on the 4wd

You're lucky to have that, I'm going to convert my 96 to the 97+ setup. This is how it is the 97+ Explorer's had the "Auto/Hi/Low" Only the 95 and 96 2nd gen explorer's had the "2hi/4auto/4low" meaning they didn't have a regular full-time high it was only 4auto like your auto position in which I did a mod to fix that but now am going to just do the full conversion. There are two different things you can do about this. 1. would be pull out your radio look to the back of the dash you will see a box pointed downwards that has a BROWN wire sticking out, you can cut that run it to the off terminal of a toggle switch then run a wire from the on side of the toggle terminal to the other part of the brown wire you cut, that way when you have the toggle switch in the off position its in true 2wd. Option number 2. would be to find a 95 or 96 explorer, and take out the TOD (torque on demand) GEM and 4wd module and take out your current modules and try to replace it with those from the donor truck but then this would only allow for "2wd/4Auto/4low". And if you wanted full-time 4wd having the 95-95 setup you would still need to clip the brown wire comming from the 4wd module and hook it differently but won't go into that because you're probably thinking that the 1st option is easier. BUT! Keep in mind do not spin the tires if you do the 2wd modification in option 1 because the clutch in the transfercase will still be slipping and cause excessive wear to the clutches and eventually kill your transfercase. If you do either of these mods, do them at your own risk, option 1 is the easiest less hassle. You could also get a on/off type button too if thats what you prefer instead of a toggle switch. Good luck, update this to see how you make out. Also this will not increase fuel mileage.

Add your comment to this topic!