Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Exagerated shipping costs, what to do?

jano11
03-18-2008, 04:26 AM
Hello everyone,

Being, like most of us :D , more of a kits collector than a builder I was looking around on the eBay and found 2 kits from the same seller, in the US.
So I asked him what are the shipping methods and to Europe.

To my surprise the seller asks 42 USD using International Priority Mail and 50 USD for Express Mail.

Because I did already buy several times from the US I know that for Priority Mail the shipping costs for 2 kits is around 24 USD and for 3 kits is 28 USD.

I do understand that he might have to buy a cardboard box, but for 18 USD???

What do you do in this cases? For me it's a new situatuion as it surpases even the most exgerated shipping rates from HK and China.

I thought tat eBay does have apolicy against such blatant rip offs but it doesn't seem to be the case.

cyberkid
03-18-2008, 05:08 AM
Did you try emailing him or messaging him to talk about the shipping prices?
Include your past experience with buying from the US. Sometimes the seller hasn't shipped overseas and wants to play it safe, thus overcharging you for the s/h.

Kurzheck
03-18-2008, 05:13 AM
I would simply tell the seller thanks but you won't be bidding because you refuse to pay his inflated rates. I am amazed at the insane numbers some sellers come up with. I charge a small handling fee ($1.00 -1.50) on everything I sell but some sellers seem to double the shipping rate! You can go to www.usps.com and calculate the rate.

jano11
03-18-2008, 05:28 AM
Thanks for your help,

I checked the USPS rates and sent him a message.
Let's see what comes out of this.

smcorolla
03-18-2008, 08:00 AM
oldest ebay trick in the book

overcharge on shipping and make more
been burned a few times but refuse to be taken anymore
one example is a small poster shipped in a 2"dia tube 15" long and less than a pound, was charged $6 shipping, when arrived the USPostal sticker said $2.30

when I sell on ebay, I always post that "actual shipping" will be applied
most will claim the extra charge is for "handling" which is total bs
unless the seller is driving to a shipping location for just one item, than you shouldnt have to pay more than the actual shipping charge

comes down to how bad do you want it

rick

ariel
03-18-2008, 08:06 AM
I don't know the last time that you had something shipped from US to the Europe. But I was sticker shocked when I went to send 3 kits to my friend in Puerto Rico. It usually ran around $12.50 for 3 day priority just recent I paid for the same size box and weight $24.00 3 day priority. They first weighed the box the price showed simething like $13.00 then the guy started to put measurements into the computer presto $24.00. It seems that if you don't use one of there boxes or a box of the same size the prize varies if you use your one package. Just my 2 cents

hiergehts
03-18-2008, 11:51 AM
I used to sell on 'fee-bay' but do not any more because of the other problems (it became too costly to list w/ all increased fee$ + Paypal being rammed down your throat as the 'safe' way to pay - which eBay make money on each time as well) but that's a whole other thread..

Suffice it to say like most issues, there are 2 sides here.

Many US based sellers do not want to deal with what they see as the hassle of going to the post office, filling out customs forms, etc. vs. what is involved in sending a kit within the US (simpler) so they charge the buyer extra for their percieved 'inconvenience'.. I'm not saying it is justified, but can see their rationale.

Also, most international buyers want to use Paypal as it is the easiest way to send money but is another cost coming out of the sellers profit. While the buyer pays nothing when they send payment, the seller looses at least 4% when they receive it - the percentage lost increases with the amount sent.

As has been mentioned above, shipping rates have also gone up dramatically recently and surface mail is no longer an option when sending anything overseas via the USPS. You must use airmail now, which costs more.. Many of the EU based buyers I dealt with went for the surface option to save money.

As I see it, at this point you have 3 options:

A : Contact the seller and see if they will accommodate you. (quite unlikely, especially if they have multiple bids)

B : If you have a friend who in the US, have them buy these kits and then mail them from their own address to yours.. (may or may not cost you more?)

C : Look elsewhere for these kits..(good luck)

My :2cents:....

drunken monkey
03-18-2008, 11:53 AM
do what I do, check postage+shipping beforehand then just determine whether or not the total cost is.

In most cases, it is still way cheaper than buying the kit here (in the UK) and I know that because the items were "bought" for cheap with high postage+handling fees, technically, the other guy isn't lying when he writes down a low "items value" in the box on the customs declaration.

If however, you're not talking about the cheap buy it now items with high fixed postage/handling costs then well.... as said, depends on how much you want that kit. For the record, I've yet to come across a kit that has only been available from only one place.

jano11
03-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Got an answer from the seller.
He/she charges 7.5 USD on top of the shipping costs and offered to refund me the remaining amount to the 42 USD if it costs less.
Interesting however.

matador88
03-18-2008, 02:54 PM
yes, BIG shipping to earn some money
if you haven`t asked before bidding its your fault and now you should pay. i am sorry.
but if he told it will be usps actual costs than its not fair

jmwallac
03-18-2008, 08:03 PM
I believe this is a prime example of entrepreneurship and good old fashioned capitalism. While I agree the shipping is exaggerated, many times this is the only choice. I was in real estate for six years and was amazed at what people thought their house was worth. Sellers can charge whatever they want; the buyer has the right to buy it or pass on it. Can you blame someone for trying to get the most for their money? I would imagine we each try to find the best bargain at least 10 times a day....

As a footnote, my model collection is for sale for $25,000 USD. Outrageous? Yes! But as a seller, I can do that. If anyone is interested at that price, PM me. I'll give you free shipping. :grinyes:

drunken monkey
03-18-2008, 09:42 PM
mate, i think you got it the wrong way around.

I'm selling my entire unbuilt kit collection for £2.88p.
I'll let you know how much shipping will be when my accountant gets back from his holiday.

jano11
03-19-2008, 03:25 AM
yes, BIG shipping to earn some money
if you haven`t asked before bidding its your fault and now you should pay. i am sorry.
but if he told it will be usps actual costs than its not fair

Actually bidding has not yet ended, so I can still decide not to buy it.

jano11
03-19-2008, 03:31 AM
I believe this is a prime example of entrepreneurship and good old fashioned capitalism. While I agree the shipping is exaggerated, many times this is the only choice. I was in real estate for six years and was amazed at what people thought their house was worth. Sellers can charge whatever they want; the buyer has the right to buy it or pass on it. Can you blame someone for trying to get the most for their money? I would imagine we each try to find the best bargain at least 10 times a day....

As a footnote, my model collection is for sale for $25,000 USD. Outrageous? Yes! But as a seller, I can do that. If anyone is interested at that price, PM me. I'll give you free shipping. :grinyes:
You can sell your own things for as much as you wish, but asking double for a service that is offered by a third party is what I have problems with.

I remember people slating some poor HK seller because he was charging 25$ for shipping 2 kits from HK, yet here we have one that charges 42$ for 2 kits from the USA.

PS: Forgot to mention that it's a bout an eBay shop that sells hundreds of kits, so imagine the how many people he alreday ripped off this way.

Anyway, as I posted eralier I contacted the seller and he said he is actually charging 7.5 USD on top of shipping charges and that he would refund the difference up to 42 USD if there should be one. It's still a rip off and regardless if I buy from him or not I consider complaining to eBay for this kind of behavior.

Didymus
03-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Anyway, as I posted eralier I contacted the seller and he said he is actually charging 7.5 USD on top of shipping charges and that he would refund the difference up to 42 USD if there should be one. It's still a rip off and regardless if I buy from him or not I consider complaining to eBay for this kind of behavior.
The refund promise has a bad odor. If he didn't refund your money, and you gave him negative feedback, he would undoubtedly retaliate, and you'd have to defend your reputation. Don't play that game; you have better things to do with your time - like build models.

What's to keep him from determining the approximate weight in advance and using eBay's shipping calculator? Then he can show a handling charge in addition to the shipping charge. That's the proper way to do business.

But regardless, I agree that $7.50 for handling is a rip-off.

I wouldn't trust this greedy seller, and wouldn't do business with him. Based on what you have told us, I also agree that you ought to complain to eBay, which has a policy against such shipping shenanigans. If nobody blows the whistle on guys like this, they will persist.

Ddms

robrex
03-19-2008, 03:38 PM
I was looking around on the eBay and found 2 kits

OK, I think we all agree that you shouldn't buy from this guy, so tell me. What kits were they? You'll probably find someone here who has them and will sell them to you?

PEDETAILS
03-19-2008, 07:04 PM
I really do not understand with the hang up on breaking down the money. To me a kit is worth the total cost including shipping. If a $150 kit has free shipping and another is $50.00 plus $100 shipping it is the same $150.00. As long as you know the charges up front (I don't buy unless I do) Then the breakdown is irrelevent. The cost to your home is the same. Just factor the shipping into the total cost and move on or buy. Some sellers don't make any money on the auction after fees etc.. All of their income is generated in the shipping. I don't ever sell anything this way but I don't have a problem with those who do.

jmwallac
03-19-2008, 07:05 PM
You can sell your own things for as much as you wish, but asking double for a service that is offered by a third party is what I have problems with.

Again, this is pretty much the definition of capitalism and free market enterprise. What is the value of the service he is providing? Maybe his service is that he can source a rare kit. Maybe his service is that he can sell you the model, even with the outrageuos S&H charges, for less than others can. Everyone has a different intrinsic value for a service provided. That's why some people use discount listing agents and some people use a full service brokerage. Some don't see the same value in service.

That being said, if you don't feel right about the transaction, don't buy. It's very easy to get burned on ebay!

jmwallac
03-19-2008, 07:07 PM
mate, i think you got it the wrong way around.

I'm selling my entire unbuilt kit collection for £2.88p.
I'll let you know how much shipping will be when my accountant gets back from his holiday.

Nope. I did get it right. If someone is willing to pay that kind of money for my unbuilt kits and crappily built cars, I'll gladly give them free shipping!!! :grinyes:

PEDETAILS
03-19-2008, 07:13 PM
I don't know the seller here but I do know those tubes can be several dollars each which could account for the difference. I doubt the seller received each poster he had in a cardboard tube so there are costs involved in shipping. Most sellers who do a lot of shipping in specialty packaging will tell you that they can't sell the item with a listign price includign the packaging costs. They have to add it into the shipping for people to look. Also Ebay charges for the selling price but not the shipping costs. This is why so many people inflate the item shipping and offer such "good" prices on the products. IT is reducing their ebay fees and getting more people to look at their auction because of the low selling price. I am amazed by the number of Hong Kong auctions with cheap prices and high shipping that sell. Many of the same items sell for equal or less with shipping charges included from the USA, Canada and Europe.

oldest ebay trick in the book

overcharge on shipping and make more
been burned a few times but refuse to be taken anymore
one example is a small poster shipped in a 2"dia tube 15" long and less than a pound, was charged $6 shipping, when arrived the USPostal sticker said $2.30

when I sell on ebay, I always post that "actual shipping" will be applied
most will claim the extra charge is for "handling" which is total bs
unless the seller is driving to a shipping location for just one item, than you shouldnt have to pay more than the actual shipping charge

comes down to how bad do you want it

rick

davezilla
03-19-2008, 07:55 PM
I really do not understand with the hang up on breaking down the money. To me a kit is worth the total cost including shipping. If a $150 kit has free shipping and another is $50.00 plus $100 shipping it is the same $150.00. As long as you know the charges up front (I don't buy unless I do) Then the breakdown is irrelevent. The cost to your home is the same. Just factor the shipping into the total cost and move on or buy. Some sellers don't make any money on the auction after fees etc.. All of their income is generated in the shipping. I don't ever sell anything this way but I don't have a problem with those who do.

I agree completely with this. I always look at the total price. It doesn't matter to me if the shipping is inflated as long as the combined price isn't more than what I am willing to pay.

What pisses me off the most though, are sellers who uses a cheaper shipping method than the one you paid for. It's not that I'm in a hurry to get it, but it's just dishonest and bad business practice.

Didymus
03-19-2008, 08:30 PM
Obviously, it's the total out-of-pocket that counts. But on eBay, you have to be careful about who you're dealing with, because there's always the potential for negative feedback, damaged or modified merchandise, long delays, and so on. If a seller seems to be trying to deceive naive buyers by saying a common item is rare, or doesn't want to give you shipping costs in advance, or does something weird like setting an absurdly high shipping cost and then promising a contingency refund, I avoid him.

I also avoid guys who go on and on, page after page, about how they have to make a bunch of complicated rules because eBayers are so dishonest and difficult. That kind of antagonistic attitude can spell trouble later on.

Ddms

jano11
03-20-2008, 04:34 AM
Thanks for your help. After reading your replys I searched a bit around, and had the pure luck to find the item also on the Belgian eBay, I contacted the seller and he agreed to send it to other countries too (as oposed to the items description).
So thanks to your help I avoided any further unnecessary troubles.

jano11
03-20-2008, 04:40 AM
OK, I think we all agree that you shouldn't buy from this guy, so tell me. What kits were they? You'll probably find someone here who has them and will sell them to you?

It was a rather rare, and usually expensive, de Tomaso Pantera kit, and a more common Tamiya Ferrari Mythos. They were sold together.
The Mythos Ferrari is very easy to find as its also produced by Revell.
The Pantera is however rarer and rather pricy.

But as I lready pointed out I managed to find another Pantera kit for a good fixed price. So all the troubles are gone now!

Add your comment to this topic!