99 sonata "no power...gas line???"

seabrooke
03-16-2008, 08:00 PM
:banghead: Hey guys, Been having LOTS of problems with the Sonata (I conclude that they are CHEAPO cars with big price tags attached to them!) Hyundai should make a new model car called the Hyundai, "faulty sensor." Those DARN sensors!!!

I have this major problem that no mechanic has been able to give me a 100% response on. I have no power when pushing the gas pedal. I have to sometimes floor the pedal in order to obtain take off. ITS EXTEMELY DANGEROUS TO DRIVE THIS WAY!!! The car will take off when it hits around 2000-3000 rpm. When I am stopped at a stop sign, red light, etc then the car idles rough and wants to stall. I'm not sure as of yet whether this problem is worse or not when the engine is cool or warm? Sometimes I can drive just fine without this problem occuring HOWEVER 80% of the time it occurs. The spark plugs and fuel filter have been changed, the battery is knew and is fully charged, the air filter is new, the manifold has been cleaned (was not too dirty), there is a sensor located between the manifold and the casing for the air filter (on the air flow tubing) and this sensor is also brand new. I received a check engine code saying that one of my coolant system sensors needs to be changed HOWEVER I doubt that this sensor has anything to do with this problem I am experiencing?

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE???

I was told by my mechanic that it is the sensor on the manifold. (I forgot the name of the sensor) It is the sensor that measures the carbon and so on. It is located on the manifold right underneath the valve. It has two little holes in it which is connected to two holes underneath the valve. He told me that it was this sensor that was causing my car not to have any power when pushing down on the gas and why my car wants to stall. Before I spend $300.00 on this sensor I need to know FOR SURE that there are not any other possibilities that could be causing this problem? Usually my car shakes when the engine gets warm and when the shaking starts it seems to make the problem much worse!

I cleaned the interior of this sensor with intake cleaner and my car worked well for the first ride I took her out on BUT then afterwards the problem started up ONCE AGAIN.

Question, if it really was this sensor then wouldn't it only be logical that I would have received a check engine light for this???

Anyone have any advice? Thanks

:banghead: I heard that there was a recall concerning the 99 Sonata stalling on people. Apparently there have been a lot of reported accidents due to 99 Sonata's that have stalled on people while driving.
And how do recalls works with people who bought an old car??? I am assuming that these recalls are not respected for second hand car owners???

Any ways... some help on this problem would be appreciated, thanks.

lowsonoma1999
03-16-2008, 11:05 PM
:banghead: Hey guys, Been having LOTS of problems with the Sonata (I conclude that they are CHEAPO cars with big price tags attached to them!) Hyundai should make a new model car called the Hyundai, "faulty sensor." Those DARN sensors!!!

I have this major problem that no mechanic has been able to give me a 100% response on. I have no power when pushing the gas pedal. I have to sometimes floor the pedal in order to obtain take off. ITS EXTEMELY DANGEROUS TO DRIVE THIS WAY!!! The car will take off when it hits around 2000-3000 rpm. When I am stopped at a stop sign, red light, etc then the car idles rough and wants to stall. I'm not sure as of yet whether this problem is worse or not when the engine is cool or warm? Sometimes I can drive just fine without this problem occuring HOWEVER 80% of the time it occurs. The spark plugs and fuel filter have been changed, the battery is knew and is fully charged, the air filter is new, the manifold has been cleaned (was not too dirty), there is a sensor located between the manifold and the casing for the air filter (on the air flow tubing) and this sensor is also brand new. I received a check engine code saying that one of my coolant system sensors needs to be changed HOWEVER I doubt that this sensor has anything to do with this problem I am experiencing?

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE???

I was told by my mechanic that it is the sensor on the manifold. (I forgot the name of the sensor) It is the sensor that measures the carbon and so on. It is located on the manifold right underneath the valve. It has two little holes in it which is connected to two holes underneath the valve. He told me that it was this sensor that was causing my car not to have any power when pushing down on the gas and why my car wants to stall. Before I spend $300.00 on this sensor I need to know FOR SURE that there are not any other possibilities that could be causing this problem? Usually my car shakes when the engine gets warm and when the shaking starts it seems to make the problem much worse!

I cleaned the interior of this sensor with intake cleaner and my car worked well for the first ride I took her out on BUT then afterwards the problem started up ONCE AGAIN.

Question, if it really was this sensor then wouldn't it only be logical that I would have received a check engine light for this???

Anyone have any advice? Thanks

:banghead: I heard that there was a recall concerning the 99 Sonata stalling on people. Apparently there have been a lot of reported accidents due to 99 Sonata's that have stalled on people while driving.
And how do recalls works with people who bought an old car??? I am assuming that these recalls are not respected for second hand car owners???

Any ways... some help on this problem would be appreciated, thanks.

Are you referring to the oxygen sensor? It's on the exhaust manifold. There are 4 on your car though, and if one or more of those were bad, it should throw a code. The recall you might be referring to is one on the mass air flow wiring. This could cause a low rpm stall. There are several different fixes depending on production dates. If you can get me your VIN, I can tell you if you have any open recalls. These Hyundai's can be tricky, and a lot of smaller shops don't have a clue about them. Might be best if you take it to the dealer since they are the ones most familiar with your car before you spend a fortune on stuff that won't fix your concern.

seabrooke
03-16-2008, 11:39 PM
Are you referring to the oxygen sensor? It's on the exhaust manifold. There are 4 on your car though, and if one or more of those were bad, it should throw a code. The recall you might be referring to is one on the mass air flow wiring. This could cause a low rpm stall. There are several different fixes depending on production dates. If you can get me your VIN, I can tell you if you have any open recalls. These Hyundai's can be tricky, and a lot of smaller shops don't have a clue about them. Might be best if you take it to the dealer since they are the ones most familiar with your car before you spend a fortune on stuff that won't fix your concern.

Hey wow,

Thanks for the response. Yes, tomorrow I will let you know what the VIN code is. I would really appreciate you helping me out on this. It's real nice of you to do that for me. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I have spent over $4000.00 repairing this car and it is only worth $3000.00. So I do not want to make ANOTHER repair that DOES NOT fix the problem. Yeah, you basically have to guess what is wrong with a Hyundai because it's so hard to tell with these cars on what is causing a certain problem. But if you can let me know, after I send you the VIN, if there has been a recall on this model then WOW this would really help solve this problem.

Yeah, I took my car to the dealership once (hyundai) and the reason why I never went back was because the mechanic lied to me about the Alternator I had just installed. I will not get into the whole story about that BUT I do know a bit about cars (my father was a class A parts salesman for 37 years!)
So after this mechanic lied to me I never went back. BUT I did ask the person working in the Hyundai auto parts department concerning recalls on this model of car and he refused to give me the information. You know how those dealerships are? They try to avoid things like that because it costs them money in the long run. But if you can find this info for me that would be really helpful. It would definitely example the stalling problem, etc.

By the way, I assume that recalls are only good for somebody that still has thier car on warranty? I guess it does not cover second hand owners?

...no, I had one oxygen sensor changed already on the exhaust about 6 months ago. No, this is a black plastic casing that is screwed onto the manofold with two srews (right underneath the valve on the manifold.) It has a gasket between it and the manifold. Could this ALSO be an oxygen sensor (just a different kind of oxygen sensor then the traditional ones that we see???)

Thanks for the advice and help. I'll let you know ASAP what the VIN is.

THANKS A LOT FOR THE HELP!!! :)

seabrooke
03-17-2008, 05:20 PM

Yeah, the VIN KMHWF25S3XA070171
The date the car was built, Jan. 16, 1999

I really appreciate the help, thanks for checking into this for me.

By the way, I did hear about there being two recalls for this car, one with the wiring and the other with the air bags. MY CAR has a problem with the air bags (another faulty sensor) so it would not surprise me that I also have this other problem too! Maybe my model is a recall? :banghead: :frown:

lowsonoma1999
03-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Yeah, the VIN KMHWF25S3XA070171
The date the car was built, Jan. 16, 1999

I really appreciate the help, thanks for checking into this for me.

By the way, I did hear about there being two recalls for this car, one with the wiring and the other with the air bags. MY CAR has a problem with the air bags (another faulty sensor) so it would not surprise me that I also have this other problem too! Maybe my model is a recall? :banghead: :frown:

Just realized you are in Canada. I can look up parts for your car in my catalog, but I can't look up recalls on Hyundai's site. It's only for US market cars. A canadian dealer would be the only one that can pull that info up. Plus, the recall might be just for US cars. It doesn't tell me that info.

As far as the sensor you are talking about, I have no clue. A valve is an internal part in the cylinder head. You cannot see this from the outside. And there are two manifolds, and intake and exhaust. Need to know which one you are referring to.

seabrooke
03-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Just realized you are in Canada. I can look up parts for your car in my catalog, but I can't look up recalls on Hyundai's site. It's only for US market cars. A canadian dealer would be the only one that can pull that info up. Plus, the recall might be just for US cars. It doesn't tell me that info.

As far as the sensor you are talking about, I have no clue. A valve is an internal part in the cylinder head. You cannot see this from the outside. And there are two manifolds, and intake and exhaust. Need to know which one you are referring to.

It's the intake manifold. There is a valve on the intake when you remove the rubber pipe. This is the pipe that has the Mass Air flow sensor on it. Then the pipe leads to the casing that holds the air filter. The mass air flow sensor is located between the casing that holds the air filter and the intake manifold. When you remove this pipe from the manifold you will see the valve that opens and closes to let the air enter into the manifold. Right underneath this valve (attached on to the intake casing) you will see a small plastic thing, this is the sensor that measures the carbon and all that other stuff. I was told that this sensor was causing the car to stall. But honestly I just do not want to take the word of the mechanics I have been too. I have been to a lot and nobody seems to know what is wrong.

I just do not trust the dealership at all but I guess I will have no other choice but to bring my car there. I replaced my alternator in the past and when I had a check engine lit up on my car the mechanic told me it was because I did not use a Hyundai name brand alternator and this was giving me my check engine. I demanded the mechanic to show this to me on his scanner and when he did the scanner said, "Oxygen sensor." HE LIED TO ME!!! So I changed the oxygen sensor and the check engine light went off. IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE REBUILT ALTERNATOR I INSTALLED!!! So that is why I do not trust the Hyundai dealership anymore!!!

So any ways... if you know what sensor it is that I am talking about then maybe you can give some insight for me whether the stalling is do to that? Honestly, I cannot see how many more repairs I need to do with my car in order to fix this problem!

Thanks for all your help. :)

lowsonoma1999
03-18-2008, 04:06 PM
Ok, you are talking about the throttle body. Still not 100% sure on what you are needing though. Maybe the EGR valve. Here are some pics.

http://208.8.111.88:8088/GROUP/NAS3809900/TIF/28-28311.gif

http://208.8.111.88:8088/GROUP/NAS3809900/TIF/31-35111.gif

seabrooke
03-18-2008, 05:40 PM
I was not sure how to uplaod pictures on this forum so I put a picture of what I am talking about up on Flicker. You can find the picture at,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24803465@N04/2344183622/
(This should take you directly to the photo!)

I think I made a mistake, it was the exhaust manifold not the intake manifold.
(Correct me if I am wrong.)
Any ways... I disconnected the tubing from the manifold to take this picture.
Its the little black plactic thing that is attached onto the manifold. There is a gasket between IT and the manifold and there are two little holes in both the manifold and this sensor that is suppose to measure the carbon and so on. I was told that it was this sensor that was causing the problem I am having.

I wrote the code and info down on this peice. It goes as follows,

HMC 35150-33010
KEFICO 9540930001
13.5 VOLTS

What is this peice and is it really that which is causing my problems? At the garage the mechanic did a test with the scanner to check everything out on the car and everything seems to be running fine. I am really baffled??? So he told me that this sensor in the photograph COULD BE what is causing the problem.

Hey, I really thank you for taking your time to help me on this. MUCH THANKS!!! This car has really cost me a lot in repairs and cost me even more in headaches!

nishjaya
07-24-2008, 05:34 AM
Hay seabrooke (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=449500),

Have you managed to figure out the faulty component and fix it by now? I accidently came accross your post while looking for this part number 35150-33010 which is the Idle Control Valve.

My Hyundai Atos has the same problem you have explained earlier and I found the culprit to be the Idle Control Valve, bearing this part number. I blocked the two holes by a fully closed gasket and noticed that there was no diference in the problems, hence I assume this unit is bad. I am yet to replce it to see the difference.

According to my Mechanics, this unit is supposed to control the engine RPM during Idle, cold runing and warm running, load running etc.

Please let me know how your problem was resolved. Thank you.

Add your comment to this topic!