Removing Fuel Filler Neck

03-15-2008, 08:44 PM
Hello again, I have a 1996 Lincoln Town Car, and my fuel filler neck is all rusted out, and I am getting a raw gas smell in the car. I have to replace it, so here comes the question. How do one remove the fuel filler neck on the town car?

03-15-2008, 09:15 PM
I wouldn't smoke - Look to the right side of inner trk,and pull that carpet or
plastic down.
Where do you live with all that rust?

03-15-2008, 10:41 PM
What am I suppose to do once I remove the carpet? I live in NJ, and my town car has 235k miles on it, I think it is more time the car has been on the road veruses where i live.

03-15-2008, 10:56 PM
Can you see it leaking or do you just smell gas?
Has your gas mileage change or stayed the same?
Some-how you were pointed towards the filler neck!
I know theres a carbon filter for fuel emissions under the hood.

SORRY MYBAD!, I was trying to entertain S TYPE JAG,See SEX on JAG!

junk yard doggie
03-16-2008, 08:22 AM

All the fasteners you will need to remove are inside the fuel door area and in the fender well. I have a good neck from a 93 which I am failry sure it will work in the 96. See links below for a pic of the part.

03-16-2008, 01:14 PM
I can see gas on the outside of the filler neck, my gas mileage has changed, and I smell gas. My gas mileage has changed, but I just finish getting the check engine light out this morning. I had to change the mass air flow sensor, the EGR pressure feedback sensor, and tape up my spark plug wire leading to cylinder #7. So I know my gas mileage has suffered due to needing all of those problems. Before changing those sensors I was getting 13.4 mpg, now I am averaging 16.4 mpg.

How much are you selling that filler neck? I would like to check to see if the filler necks are the same for both years. By the way that filler neck looks brand new compared to mine.

03-16-2008, 07:31 PM
16.4 mpg??? I'm getting 19 mpg around town and 23.5 mpg on the road with my '95 LTC.

03-16-2008, 08:54 PM
That is where I am trying to get my town car, to average somewhere around 20 mpg. This week coming up will be my first week of not having a check engine light on for about 7 months. Maybe I will have the success of reaching 20 or better mpg.

junk yard doggie
03-17-2008, 08:03 AM

25.00 for the neck. I can get some measurements any you could compair the shapes. Approx: 22 1/2 long, 2 inches wide at the botom and 2 1/4 wide where the cap goes. My cross refference guide dosen't have information on that neck. It's a solid part, the car came from FL and then ended up in TN so no rust any where. Here is a pic of the rest of the parts that go with the neck if you were to want them. All the fasteners are there as well.

03-18-2008, 06:23 PM
If you are gettin g bad milage, it might be b/c of carbon build up in and under the throlle body bore where it meets up at the intake. Lest that what was my problem with my 95.

Add your comment to this topic!