Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Removing Fuel Filler Neck

homeskillet43
03-15-2008, 08:44 PM
Hello again, I have a 1996 Lincoln Town Car, and my fuel filler neck is all rusted out, and I am getting a raw gas smell in the car. I have to replace it, so here comes the question. How do one remove the fuel filler neck on the town car?

danielsatur
03-15-2008, 09:15 PM
I wouldn't smoke - Look to the right side of inner trk,and pull that carpet or
plastic down.
Where do you live with all that rust?

homeskillet43
03-15-2008, 10:41 PM
What am I suppose to do once I remove the carpet? I live in NJ, and my town car has 235k miles on it, I think it is more time the car has been on the road veruses where i live.

danielsatur
03-15-2008, 10:56 PM
Can you see it leaking or do you just smell gas?
Has your gas mileage change or stayed the same?
Some-how you were pointed towards the filler neck!
I know theres a carbon filter for fuel emissions under the hood.

SORRY MYBAD!, I was trying to entertain S TYPE JAG,See SEX on JAG!

MCGIVER

junk yard doggie
03-16-2008, 08:22 AM
Hello

All the fasteners you will need to remove are inside the fuel door area and in the fender well. I have a good neck from a 93 which I am failry sure it will work in the 96. See links below for a pic of the part.

http://cmasalvage.com/93tc_fn1.JPG

http://cmasalvage.com/93tc_fn2.JPG

homeskillet43
03-16-2008, 01:14 PM
I can see gas on the outside of the filler neck, my gas mileage has changed, and I smell gas. My gas mileage has changed, but I just finish getting the check engine light out this morning. I had to change the mass air flow sensor, the EGR pressure feedback sensor, and tape up my spark plug wire leading to cylinder #7. So I know my gas mileage has suffered due to needing all of those problems. Before changing those sensors I was getting 13.4 mpg, now I am averaging 16.4 mpg.

How much are you selling that filler neck? I would like to check to see if the filler necks are the same for both years. By the way that filler neck looks brand new compared to mine.

Bearfoot
03-16-2008, 07:31 PM
16.4 mpg??? I'm getting 19 mpg around town and 23.5 mpg on the road with my '95 LTC.

homeskillet43
03-16-2008, 08:54 PM
That is where I am trying to get my town car, to average somewhere around 20 mpg. This week coming up will be my first week of not having a check engine light on for about 7 months. Maybe I will have the success of reaching 20 or better mpg.

junk yard doggie
03-17-2008, 08:03 AM
Hi

25.00 for the neck. I can get some measurements any you could compair the shapes. Approx: 22 1/2 long, 2 inches wide at the botom and 2 1/4 wide where the cap goes. My cross refference guide dosen't have information on that neck. It's a solid part, the car came from FL and then ended up in TN so no rust any where. Here is a pic of the rest of the parts that go with the neck if you were to want them. All the fasteners are there as well.

http://cmasalvage.com/93tc_fn3.jpg

Kitt1993
03-18-2008, 06:23 PM
If you are gettin g bad milage, it might be b/c of carbon build up in and under the throlle body bore where it meets up at the intake. Lest that what was my problem with my 95.

B

Add your comment to this topic!