Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 Camry elx transmission problem

spyder52
03-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Hi,

My wife was preparing to merge onto the freeway and all of a sudden the car had a hard time moving. It had just enough power to pull over. No matter what gear she placed the car in it would just reve real high and not budge. After a few minutes she was able make it home without incident. The next morning same problem. However, reverse seemed to work. We were able to get the car back to the house. After that the car would not budge no matter what gear it was in, and no matter how much gas we gave it. Will we need to replace the tranny? I'm hoping not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Wayne

Mike Gerber
03-15-2008, 01:29 PM
You will need to supply more information about the car. What engine; I4 or V6? How many miles on the car? What if any maintainance has been done to the car, especially recently?

Mike

spyder52
03-15-2008, 02:03 PM
You will need to supply more information about the car. What engine; I4 or V6? How many miles on the car? What if any maintainance has been done to the car, especially recently?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Engine is a V6, miles 126K, tune up and oil leak repair (gasket replaced) in Oct 07. I just went out and started the car up. Engine lite stays on. Car is able to move when in reverse with effort but not in drive or any lower gear. Thanks for any help you may provide.

Wayne

Mike Gerber
03-15-2008, 03:00 PM
"Engine lite stays on."

If by this you mean the "check engine light", then the first thing to do would be to read the code. The manual posted at the top of this forum will give you the procedure and what the codes means. All you will need to do this is the procedure from the manaul and a piece of wire.

Mike

spyder52
03-15-2008, 04:55 PM
"Engine lite stays on."

If by this you mean the "check engine light", then the first thing to do would be to read the code. The manual posted at the top of this forum will give you the procedure and what the codes means. All you will need to do this is the procedure from the manaul and a piece of wire.

Mike

I do not see a manual at the top of this forum. Could you please supply the exact location of the manual. Thanks.

Wayne

Brian R.
03-15-2008, 06:53 PM
You will need a code reader to read the codes in that car. 1994 V6 Camrys were OBDII compliant, not OBDI. The procedure in the FAQ will not work.

The manual is linked in the thread entitled "Factory Service Manuals!".

spyder52
03-16-2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks Brian. I'll take it to a shop and have it checked out. Hopefully I will not have to replace the transmission.

wayne

Mike Gerber
03-16-2008, 04:46 PM
You will need a code reader to read the codes in that car. 1994 V6 Camrys were OBDII compliant, not OBDI. The procedure in the FAQ will not work.

The manual is linked in the thread entitled "Factory Service Manuals!".

Brian,

I thought 94 and 95 V6 cars had both OBD1 and OBD2 connectors, and codes could be read either way. It is probably easier for him to just drive the car to a place like Autozone (if it is drivable) and get the code read there. We'll hope for him it's something simple.

Mike

Brian R.
03-16-2008, 04:58 PM
They won't read '94 or '95 cars at Autozone. We've been through that a few times. At least at the ones others have tried. No hard in trying though.

I think it is impossible for a car to be both OBDI and OBDII compliant. Different computers. If you check out the '94 manual for the V6 SFI, you will see only OBDII troubleshooting procedures.

Mike Gerber
03-16-2008, 06:33 PM
They won't read '94 or '95 cars at Autozone. We've been through that a few times. At least at the ones others have tried. No hard in trying though.

I think it is impossible for a car to be both OBDI and OBDII compliant. Different computers. If you check out the '94 manual for the V6 SFI, you will see only OBDII troubleshooting procedures.

Thanks for the info. I stand corrected. My 94 is the I4 so personally I never paid much attention to the 94 and 95 V6's.

Mike

Add your comment to this topic!