Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Air Bag Light stays on - 1999 Z3 2.8

Ajay69
03-14-2008, 09:42 PM
What is causing the Air Bag light to stay on and will the same OBDII scanner turn it off?

mebeuro
04-11-2008, 11:04 AM
hey, i'm on my third bmw, a 97 2.8 Z3 and the air bag light is on as well. My last two bmw's have had this happen. The last two were the seat belt connector, the female end. I bought used ones from the junkyard and put them in myself, then had a private shop reset the light and it was fine. They can test to tell you what it is as well, to make sure why its on, but thats why im guessing its on.

sdrege
04-12-2008, 10:11 AM
I had a similar problem with my 2000 Z3/2.3 roadster.

The mechanic I took it to (not dealer) said the seat belt sensor was bad. He said that in California, it was not legal to fix seatbelt assemblies. So he replaced the socket that that seatbelt (driver side) plugs into. That did the trick. :)

Now I have the same problem on the passenger side. :frown:

BTW. I was told that when this light is on, that airbag will not deploy.

FWIW...

kelotodd
10-08-2008, 02:48 PM
This is a late reply but I have the same problem. I removed one of the seats and subsequently the airbag light stays on constantly. A normal OBDII scanner will not reset the airbag light. It takes a special ODBII scanner to clear the airbag light. Peake makes a unit for around $129.00.

ronnie38
06-04-2009, 08:33 PM
What is causing the Air Bag light to stay on and will the same OBDII scanner turn it off?
Odds are that the Molex connectors on the seatbelt sensor and/or the pressure mat are not making connection thanks to corrosion, squit contact cleaner on them, and then WD-40 or replace them with a weather-proof connector then have them reset, I bought a Peak unit myself this is my 3rd Bimmer.

Add your comment to this topic!