97 Lumina Brake Light Problem

erope
03-14-2008, 10:28 PM
The break lights on my 97 Lumina are not working. The one in the window is. All bulbs look to be good, all other lights work. Fuse is fine.

I do believe the turn signal switch is bad in the steering column as I cannot 'click' the turn signals on, I have to push the turn signal lever until just before it would 'click on' and they work fine, no fast flashing or anything. Don't know if this could have anything to do with it or not?

Looking to exhaust all possible options before bringing it to a garage ($$$). Thanks for any help!

erope
03-14-2008, 10:38 PM
I should add that the turn signals have worked as described above for well over 2 years. I can deal with it, so I never got it taken care of.

surfer5
03-17-2008, 11:10 AM
The break lights on my 97 Lumina are not working. The one in the window is. All bulbs look to be good, all other lights work. Fuse is fine.

I do believe the turn signal switch is bad in the steering column as I cannot 'click' the turn signals on, I have to push the turn signal lever until just before it would 'click on' and they work fine, no fast flashing or anything. Don't know if this could have anything to do with it or not?

Looking to exhaust all possible options before bringing it to a garage ($$$). Thanks for any help!

the turn signal is more then likely the problem . the easiest was to check is to get someone in back of your car and you get in , push the brake and at the same time pull the signal light lever towords you like your going to turn on your high beam lights and tell the person thats behind your car to let you know if any thing happens .

the reason why i say this is i have the same problem with my 96 lumina and after finding out what was wrong which is that the switch is worn i took a cloths pin and took it a part so theres to wooden peaces . then behind the arm for your signal lights theres a plugs with 3-4 wires take the wood and tap it to the clip for those wires watch what your doing you don't break the clip for the wires .what usually happens is that you push the level ahead with the wedges to take up the slack in the lever that is worn .

you can give this a try i have the same thing done on my car and has worked for over a year now the only thing is that the amount of shims you us may very . or you can change the level asembly which i went the easier way to my mind with the same result and no cost just a wooden cloths pin and some tape.

erope
03-17-2008, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the info surfer. Actually, after a little more research on this site, I found someone who said to tap into the wiring for the window light and just wire in 2 new bulbs to that and mount those into the light assembly. Did that and it is working great now, total cost was $5 for 2 new bulbs, got the pigtails at the junk yard for free. :)

Kurtbyy
04-14-2008, 03:16 AM
I have the exact same problem with my 1995 Lumina. Only the center brake light works and if I pull the turn signal lever a little while pressing brake pedal the other brake lights come on.

Does this mean it's enough to replace only the turn signal switch or do I need to buy also the signal lever?

Blue Bowtie
04-14-2008, 08:22 AM
The existing lever can be used on the new switch. It screws to the switch in the steering column. If the wipers and cruise control work, there is no reason to replace the switch lever.

4x4 blazerguy
04-17-2008, 10:46 PM
You guys must be hard on turn signal switches. I have never had a problem with a GM switch. Now my F250 4x4 has had 2 in it in the last 10 years.

Chevydude70
09-14-2008, 05:24 PM
I am going to try to wire the brake lights from the window light. I plan to just run wires from the window light to the existing brake lights. Does anyone know what color the brake light wire is after the connector in the rear?

el uno
12-13-2008, 10:24 PM
the problem is the turn signal switch.the parts about 56 dollars and youl need a steering wheel puller and lock plate remover tool all available from auto zone.the brake lights are wired to the turn signal switch wich wears out over time.you cant wire it to the third brake light feed because when u turn the signal light on the third brake light will blink also.auto zone will provide a schematic of the job if u ask.and remember to pull the air bag fuse before messing with anything on the steering column.good luck

Add your comment to this topic!