Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 explorer fuel pump?

cutlasslove
03-14-2008, 02:25 PM
Hello, I have a 1991 ford explorer xl with a 4.0 v6 and a standard shift tranny. yesterday I did a tune up and oil change and when I was done I fired it up and checked for leaks, and everything was fine. That night my wife got in it to go to work and started it, it ran for approx. 30 seconds and died. would not restart. I took the gas cap off and had her hit the key but I couldnt hear the pump at all. recently before all this happened there was a constant buzz noise for the rear of the car when it was running. did my fuel pump go out? someone also mentioned that fords have an "inertia" switch that cuts fuel to the car? where is that? could that be it? Thanks for any help you can give me.

shorod
03-14-2008, 05:51 PM
The inertia switch is just that, if it receives enough inertia from an impact, the switch opens and shuts off the fuel pump. If the Explorer was just sitting there between the time it last started and ran and when your wife tried to start it, the switch probably isn't the problem. Check your owner's manual for the location, but I think it's probably down by the passenger's kick panel just in front of the passenger door.

If you were able to clearly hear the fuel pump running before, that was a sign that the pump was on its way out. A good, properly installed fuel pump will be very difficult to hear, unless you are sticking your head under the vehicle or listening very carefully for it.

-Rod

cutlasslove
03-19-2008, 05:04 PM
ok I have the fuel pump now how do I disconnect the fuel lines from the sending unit? they have clamps and I have removed those now it seems that they are "stuck" on the unit......Please Help!

shorod
03-19-2008, 10:31 PM
They're probably stuck on the unit. You will need a small pick or similar to insert between the rubber and the metal tube. Once inserted, carefully run it around the circumference, breaking the hose loose from the metal. Be careful not to push the pick through the rubber hose. The hoses may be pretty brittle from the heat and age.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!