Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Sulfer Smell

grandamlv
03-14-2008, 01:47 AM
My 2007 Camery V6 somtimes smels of sulfer after I stop the car ? I thought all gas is low sulfer now days. I have tried differnt brands and grades of gas from different sids of town but onec in a wile the smell comes back. I live In Las Vegas NV and we have only one source of gas A pipeline from CA. I was told all the gas is the same just different filtering and additives per brand. I do know that auto, disel and jet fuel is sent through the pipe line alnaterly. The pipe line broken in the past an it was in the news. or maybe I am 100% wrong and it is not the gas please advise me.
THANK YOU

Mike Gerber
03-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Your 2007 Camry should be still be under the factory warranty. Take it back to the dealer and tell them of the issue. Also tell them you have already tried different brands of gasoline.

Mike

Brian R.
03-14-2008, 01:56 PM
There are many previous models and years of Toyotas (and other brands) that have been cured of this exact problem. If it is the same cause, it is most obnoxious when you are accelerating or immediately after when you have heated up the catalytic converter and the stored sulfur burns off the catalyst. It doesn't take much to form a noticeable smell.

RIP
03-15-2008, 03:02 AM
If all else fails have the dealer inspect and test the battery. When they short internally they can emit a sulfer smell. The short creates sulfuric acid - an explosive gas you need to avoid.

Add your comment to this topic!