Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

02 Eddie Bauer V6 4.0 Rattling Noise While Stopped in Gear

blazzingbrandon
03-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Here is the problem. When my car is in Reverse or Drive, and I am stopped with my foot on the brake, I here a rattling noise. Once I accelerate and the car is moving, the noise goes away. This does not happen when the car is in Park or Nuetral.

The rattling isn't that super loud, the radio has to be off and the windows have to down in order to hear it.

It also sounds like its coming from the engine compartment. Also, my belt used to squeek during very cold days, could something be loose?

Any input would be appreciated, thank you.

shorod
03-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Is it a tinny sound, like marbles in a coffee can? Are you old enough to remember when coffee came in a metal can?

Your noise could possibly be a loose catalytic converter heat shield. It's not uncommon for a weld or two on the heat shield to crack causing a rattle at certain engine speeds. The easy fix is to get one of the huge hose clamps and place it around the heat shield. Most parts stores will probably know what you need if you ask for a catalytic converter heat shield hose clamp. ;)

Don't remove the heat shield as they are there for a very good reason: to keep your car from igniting the insulation on the floorboard as well as that pile of leaves you drove through on your way to work.

-Rod

blazzingbrandon
03-25-2008, 08:07 PM
The problem is not coming from the cat coverter. But I did also find something else out.

The noise goes away once I turn my headlights on. Can the problem be electrical in some way? Bad alternator or battery?

blazzingbrandon
04-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Just an update. After talking with some friends and trying to figure this out, it may be some loose bearings.

The rattling/grinding noise only happens when the belt is moving at its fastest. So when I turn the lights on it slows the belt down, that is why the noise went away.

So the problem has to be one of the pulleys on the belt, at least thats what we think it is.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I should get this fixed? Should I even fix it?

shorod
04-19-2008, 03:54 PM
Your lasted post seems to contradict your first post. In the original post you mentioned the noise goes away when the engine speed increases. In post #4 you mention the noise only happens with the belt is moving at its fastest.

If the noise is only there at idle, I doubt that the idler or self tensioner is the problem.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!