Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rotate Crankshaft Backwards?

Bluesax
03-13-2008, 10:52 AM
One question. Can the crank on a 2.2 be rotated backwards if it won't go clockwise? Book says no, some say yes. Which is it? Thanks

Cat Fuzz
03-13-2008, 06:21 PM
What are you doing? If you're replacing a broken timing belt, don't bother. This is an interference engine and you very likely have some damage to valves or pistons if it broke while running. If the crank won't turn, the cam is not in the proper position to allow it. There are valves hitting pistons, stopping the rotation.

Bluesax
03-14-2008, 06:28 AM
Thanks Cat,
We've been working on the engine, changing the head gasket, new belts, water pump, etc. and somehow my helper turned the crank before we got to replacing the timing belt. I put the belt on and tried to line up the camshaft mark with the valve cover mark and it stopped moving. I know that when we put the exhaust cam back on it didn't 'set' in with the mark straight up like when it was taken out. I was hoping I could rotate the crank backward and try to get everything to line up. Will that work? Thanks again.

Cat Fuzz
03-14-2008, 06:47 PM
If the crank won't turn there must be a reason why. Ignoring that could cause some problems. You need to find out why the crank won't turn properly.

inafogg
03-14-2008, 07:32 PM
from what u said car was ok,with the belt off the crank was turned,but the engine was'nt cranked.if so it sounds like pistons are hitting valves but no damage was done because engine was not cranked.you basiclly need to align
timing marks.BTW if engine was cranked w/belt off or belt broke while running
see post #2

Add your comment to this topic!