Replacing front crankshaft seal

dwendt1978
03-13-2008, 11:19 AM
One of my buddies that has a 94 Metro 3cyl/5spd, says he's pretty confident that his car is spewing oil out from behind the crank pulley behind the timing belt cover.

I told him I could repair it but we'd replace the timing belt while we were in there.
Does the crankshaft gear (one that sits behind timing belt cover) require any puller or anything to get it off? I'm pretty sure once it's off it can only go back on 1 way. So it should be pretty straight forward if it's just a bolt holding it on.

Only asking these stupid questions because I've never done this to my Metro and I'm pretty nervous about working on someone else's car that will need it to get home that day.

I've already read a great timing belt replacement tutorial, so that doesn't concern me too much.

Thanks guys!

GM Line Rat
03-13-2008, 09:12 PM
The Crankshaft Timing Gear will come off fairly Easy (Mine Did) with a basic 2 or 3 prong wheel puller, after you remove the Center bolt and keyway holder. You can rent these at Autozone and they give you a full refund when you take it back. Here's a couple of pics of the assemblys and a few notes for re-assembly.

Check that punch mark (B) on crankshaft timing belt pulley is aligned with arrow mark (A) on oil pump case. If not, align the two marks by turning crankshaft but be careful not to turn it more than its allowable turning range.

Torque Specs:

1. Crankshaft Timing Gear Center Bolt - 110Nm (81 Ft Lbs)
2. Crankshaft Pulley Bolts - 16Nm (12 Ft Lbs)

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/MrBBody/CrankPulley.gif

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/MrBBody/Engine-Explodedview.gif

dwendt1978
03-13-2008, 09:52 PM
Okay I think I get it. Align the marks and then pull the gear off. I'm pretty sure the seal will come out fairly easy. Atleast it better. lol.

I'm pretty sure I can do this. He's got a wounded soldier and we need a medic stat.

91Caprice9c1
03-14-2008, 02:23 AM
Tidbits to consider (TBC's):
*Take care not to nick or score the sealing surface of the crank.
*Clean any deposits on the crank snout.
*Lube up the inside of the seal with clean motor oil prior to install.
*Install the seal flush, and square.

You got this.

-MechanicMatt

sbiddle
03-14-2008, 10:16 AM
You shouldn't need to use a puller to remove the crankshaft timing gear, maybe a little persuasion with a prybar, but it should slide off easily.

Add your comment to this topic!