Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

V10 thermostat

HV2JEEP
03-10-2008, 07:31 AM
V10 thermostat what a pain I the ass. A thermostat replacement is supposed to be an easy job. Who ever herd of having to remove the ac pump to replace a thermostat? Then on top of that I broke a bolt. Seems like seized bolts in this motor is a problem. I thought for sure I was going to break a spark plug off when I replaced them. Any one else had this problem? Any one got a good method to loosen stuck bolts. I ended having to drill and tap this one. I tried pb break, I had enough bolt left to get 2 nuts on it but it wouldn’t budge. Then I welded the nut on and just kept breaking the bolt. It was a long night because I needed the truck this morning. all this was because the engine temp never reached normal and this morning it still didn’t, though it was cold.:banghead:

xfeejayx
03-10-2008, 07:50 AM
you can try to torch it to heat it up, but you have to get it glowing hot, and space is an issue there. but if a welded on nut didn't do the job, i don't think there is anything that will. if the bolt can't take the torque you need, it just aint going to happen.

What you can do is use anti-seize in anything you ever replace, especially spark plugs.

HV2JEEP
03-10-2008, 08:04 AM
Check did that. I just got the truck so a lot of the preventive maintenance hasn’t been done to it. Anti-seize on spark plugs. Dielectric grease on boots.

Add your comment to this topic!