Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Chirping sound from right rear wheel

venturenot
03-09-2008, 05:41 PM
I have a chirping sound that I believe is coming from the right rear wheel of my 1998 Venture. The noise is intermittent and stops when I apply the brakes. It happens randomly and is not affected by turns. Also, I do not hear it when I accelerate but I am not sure whether the noise is not present or my engine noise just drowns it out. Any ideas?

Thanks

inafogg
03-09-2008, 06:04 PM
hello,it sonds like wear indicator on brakes.is it rear disc brakes??

venturenot
03-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Why does the noise stop when I apply the brakes. And why would it make noise/chirp when the brakes are not engaged.

Thank you

inafogg
03-09-2008, 06:44 PM
the indicator on the brake pad rubs against brake rotor when the pads get worn. when you apply the brakes the indicator gets push away from rotor

bahawk750
03-09-2008, 10:09 PM
We have the same noise on our 99 Venture. I tried alot of things. I recently think the noise is being generated by the tailpipe. Try wiggling yours and see if it makes a similar noise. I think the rubber hangers are worn out allowing excessive movement.

venturenot
03-10-2008, 05:55 PM
The Chirp is gone! I had my tires rotated today and the mechanic said brakes everything looked fine. However, the spare tire was flat and loose. He felt that the chirping was coming from the spare moving around. I don't know if that was the reason, but it sounds reasonable. Anyway, I'm just happy to be driving without the noise. Thanks to everyone for their help.

rockwood84
03-11-2008, 12:39 PM
'98 should have shoes on the back and the chirp was probably the spare moving with it being flat and loose.

Add your comment to this topic!