Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

top is not working. white smoke

horduz
03-07-2008, 10:00 PM
hi
i have a lebaron 95 LX, I was using the top for a while.... it was working perfectly. suddenly, when it was down and i tried to close the top it did not work. Now when I press the button I can hear a click sound ( I think that is from the back side) but nothing happen, it is not working anymore. So can someone explain to me what is going on, what is wrong, what can i do to fix it????
also , i would like to know why when i start the car it expulses white smoke; it normally happen in the morning, when the engine is cold.
what can i do?
please, I need some help.
i will really appreciate the support that someone can give to me.
god bless you

madmanmapper
03-09-2008, 11:31 PM
Hi! White smoke usually means you have water in your cyclinders, perhaps a cracked head gasket? But it can't be a bad leak if you are able to start it. Check your antifreeze level frequently, both in the bottle and in the radiator. As for the top, I would say the pump motor is shot. Is your top currently down/open? If it is you may have trouble getting it back up with no motor. A quick fix to close your top would be to unbolt the hydraulic jacks that move the top, but I don't know how you would do that with the top down. Next best thing I guess is to get a pump from a junk yard and install it, but I do not know how to properly install a hydraulic pump. I'm assuming you would have to refill the system with oil then bleed it after replacing the pump, I don't know exactly how to do that. Perhaps if it is an absolute emergency that you must get your top up/closed right now, you could go in the trunk and cut the hydraulic lines, then you should be able to close the top manually. But I'd suggest replacing the pump (can you replace just the motor?) because if you cut the lines, it will be a big mess and you'll have to replace the lines as well as the pump.

On the other hand, if you hear a click, one single click, when you hold down the button, that may be the relay clicking, and then you probably only have a blown fuse or bad relay. Check your fuses, all of them, just in case.

horduz
04-09-2008, 05:22 PM
Hi! White smoke usually means you have water in your cyclinders, perhaps a cracked head gasket? But it can't be a bad leak if you are able to start it. Check your antifreeze level frequently, both in the bottle and in the radiator. As for the top, I would say the pump motor is shot. Is your top currently down/open? If it is you may have trouble getting it back up with no motor. A quick fix to close your top would be to unbolt the hydraulic jacks that move the top, but I don't know how you would do that with the top down. Next best thing I guess is to get a pump from a junk yard and install it, but I do not know how to properly install a hydraulic pump. I'm assuming you would have to refill the system with oil then bleed it after replacing the pump, I don't know exactly how to do that. Perhaps if it is an absolute emergency that you must get your top up/closed right now, you could go in the trunk and cut the hydraulic lines, then you should be able to close the top manually. But I'd suggest replacing the pump (can you replace just the motor?) because if you cut the lines, it will be a big mess and you'll have to replace the lines as well as the pump.

On the other hand, if you hear a click, one single click, when you hold down the button, that may be the relay clicking, and then you probably only have a blown fuse or bad relay. Check your fuses, all of them, just in case.
thanks very much.
i have read your advices and i really appreciate your help.
right now when i need to open the top and close it, I do it manually. it takes a little bit of time but works.
i will try to find out more information about how change the pump; but if you have more ideas.... those will be very welcome.
i will check the fuses, to see if something is not working; and then i will let you know.
again thanks very much and god bless you.

Joric LeBaron
05-02-2008, 03:47 PM
If it is yer pump... Ebay motors

eBay Motors: 1987-1995 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible Top Motor (item 300219438034 end time May-04-08 19:30:00 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-1995-Chrysler-Lebaron-Convertible-Top-Motor_W0QQitemZ300219438034QQcmdZViewItem)

:smokin:

Add your comment to this topic!