GM AC compressor identification - 1996 - tools recommendation

chvyfan
03-02-2008, 11:20 PM
I have a 1996 Chevy Silverado. The AC clutch bearing is going out (it growls when the AC clutch is not engaged, but OK when AC clutch engaged).

I need to determine the type of AC compressor so I can get the right tools to replace the clutch bearing.

I've done one of these years ago and still have the tool, but it was the older longer compressor, and I know that isn't the one I need. I tried AutoZone's tool rental, but they don't carry that particular one.

I believe it is a HT6, but in finding some of the tools don't mention an HT6, but some do mention a HD6.

Couple of things I'm looking for suggestions or information on:
How do I determine compressor type?
Should I just replace the clutch bearing, or the complete clutch assembly (I got the feeling that the bearing isn't always the easiest to get out, and that I may need to have the bearing pressed in (or can I use a vise?)). By the time I spend for the bearing and pressing I could be over 50% there for the whole clutch assembly).
Suggestions on where to purchase the tools?

One one I found reasonably:
http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=5233

Thanks in advance for any assistance!!!

Tim

J-Ri
03-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Welcome to AF!

You probably don't want to hear this, but if the clutch or bearing needs to be replaced, you should replace the whole compressor or rebuild it. The heat from the failing part can cause the shaft seal to fail, and you may end up doing the compressor anyway.

j cAT
03-03-2008, 07:38 PM
I have a 1996 Chevy Silverado. The AC clutch bearing is going out (it growls when the AC clutch is not engaged, but OK when AC clutch engaged).

I need to determine the type of AC compressor so I can get the right tools to replace the clutch bearing.

I've done one of these years ago and still have the tool, but it was the older longer compressor, and I know that isn't the one I need. I tried AutoZone's tool rental, but they don't carry that particular one.

I believe it is a HT6, but in finding some of the tools don't mention an HT6, but some do mention a HD6.

Couple of things I'm looking for suggestions or information on:
How do I determine compressor type?
Should I just replace the clutch bearing, or the complete clutch assembly (I got the feeling that the bearing isn't always the easiest to get out, and that I may need to have the bearing pressed in (or can I use a vise?)). By the time I spend for the bearing and pressing I could be over 50% there for the whole clutch assembly).
Suggestions on where to purchase the tools?

One one I found reasonably:
http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=5233

Thanks in advance for any assistance!!!

Tim

I have done one on 98 monte carlo ....i made the tools to pull the clutch off and then remove/install bearing... it is easier to just replace the whole clutch assy as the bearing is staked into position .....the compressor seal does get stressed out when doing this so it is possible to get refrigerent leak from shaft seal.....not long after that my friend needed this done on lumina and we got scrap yard a/c compressor for 70.oo and it was done in an hour.... for your vehicle just look up on the internet what compressor you have I understand that 96-2000 use same bearing but compressors are different for mounting .....so i recommend scrap yard r/r....

brcidd
03-03-2008, 08:56 PM
If the noise is not present all the time-- it is not the bearing-! If it only makes noise with a/c off- then your air gap is too narrow and the clutch driver is dragging against the pulley rotor face.. So if you borrow the correct tool from autozone- you can pull the clutch out to .020" gap and the dragging will cease. see the post below which uses the exact same compressor with the exact same noise......

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=890637

Take the belt off and feel the pulley - is the clutch dragging or is the bearing really bad????

j cAT
03-03-2008, 09:16 PM
If the noise is not present all the time-- it is not the bearing-! If it only makes noise with a/c off- then your air gap is too narrow and the clutch driver is dragging against the pulley rotor face.. So if you borrow the correct tool from autozone- you can pull the clutch out to .020" gap and the dragging will cease. see the post below which uses the exact same compressor with the exact same noise......

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=890637

Take the belt off and feel the pulley - is the clutch dragging or is the bearing really bad????

the way to check the bearing is simply remove belt and if the pulley flops around its junk.... thats all there is .....what will happen eventually is the pulley will sieze then you call the tow truck or remove belt and its a roll of the dice if you get home....

wafrederick
03-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Do not ever get a reman,they are junk and fail right away.I have had very good luck with used ones from a junkyard which last longer than a reman.

j cAT
03-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Do not ever get a reman,they are junk and fail right away.I have had very good luck with used ones from a junkyard which last longer than a reman.

I agree also rebuilt a/c compressors are not reliable.....it's new or scrap yard..... scrap yard on older vehicle is no brainer....

chvyfan
03-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. I'll take a look at the clearance of the clutch over the next couple days and post an update.

rockwood84
03-07-2008, 12:32 PM
the clutch tool you mention using on older g.m. a/c clutches will work. one tool pulls the clutch plate off and the other pushes it on. brcidd is correct on the gap between the clutch plate and face need .020" for some reason some clutch plates will move in on their own and scrub the face.don't know how but think its the engaging that pulls it in over time. the tool i have will fit from 1980 up to an 2002 clutch.the bearing will probably cost you around $35.00 and if you are going to replace the seal the kit costs $45.00 .and you'll need a puller to pull the pulley off .i used a 3 jawed puller to pull mine off and just bumped it back on with a block of oak

chvyfan
03-29-2008, 04:14 PM
I successfully changed the bearing 2 weekends ago - no problems since. I did have an issue with the puller though. I bought a OTC Stinger clutch removal kit off Ebay, but I wasn't very impressed with their puller for the GM. Many of the other threaded bolts looked hardened, but this one didn't, and it stripped the threads on the tool trying to install the clutch. I cut the stripped end off twice with a little more luck each time, but still couldn't get it on on the way. Ended up having to go to a shop and rent one for the last 1/4 inch to install. Other than than, a very easy job!

Thanks for all the sugestions!!

Great forum!

j cAT
03-30-2008, 06:00 PM
I successfully changed the bearing 2 weekends ago - no problems since. I did have an issue with the puller though. I bought a OTC Stinger clutch removal kit off Ebay, but I wasn't very impressed with their puller for the GM. Many of the other threaded bolts looked hardened, but this one didn't, and it stripped the threads on the tool trying to install the clutch. I cut the stripped end off twice with a little more luck each time, but still couldn't get it on on the way. Ended up having to go to a shop and rent one for the last 1/4 inch to install. Other than than, a very easy job!

Thanks for all the sugestions!!

Great forum!

all OTC tools come with a lifetime warrantee. I inquired about your problem and if you contact them they will correct the tool failure....

rockwood84
03-30-2008, 11:10 PM
if you have an autozone in your area they usually will loan tools you just habve to leave a deposit until you bring it back.....

chvyfan
04-05-2008, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the comments on the tool warranty j caT. I'll get a hold of them.

rockwood84 - Autozone didn't have the tools for the GM compressor, but had them for many other a/c compressors. I did end up taking advantage of their loaner program for the pully puller though.

Thanks again to all!

rockwood84
04-06-2008, 01:51 AM
you bet

Add your comment to this topic!