Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

NO START after collision, Help...

Spectria, L1 MT
03-02-2008, 09:16 PM
My daughter borrowed my 94 jimmy 4.3 4x4 auto and went to Lake Tahoe from here (Sonoma County, Ca) and was struck hard enough at an intersection to spin her completely around.

Everyone is OK, but the engine will not start. I am far from the car (200 miles) and can only diagnose over the phone.

After some cranking, I had her sniff the tailpipe and she says it DOES NOT smell like raw gas.

Is there an interia switch that could have been activated to shut off the fuel pump, and where would it be.

Thank you

MT-2500
03-03-2008, 09:02 AM
No on the intera switch.

It would be best to have a good repair shop check things over for damage on it.

MT

Rodrigo072788
03-03-2008, 11:16 AM
the thing im thinking went bad is the starter take it off and take to auto zone for they can do a check test

Spectria, L1 MT
03-04-2008, 11:04 AM
No on the intera switch.

MT
Thanks for the advice, I will.

MT-2500
03-04-2008, 12:55 PM
You are welcome and let us know how it goes.
Glad no one was hurt.
Good insurance usually helps with the check out and repair tab.
Good Luck
MT

Spectria, L1 MT
03-07-2008, 01:39 AM
Thanks again, but my daughter was hurt, lower back and neck. Nothing broken, just severe strains.

South Lake Tahoe is like driving around in the maze from the movie "The Shining"... Narrow streets, Snow piled 5 feet high on every street, can't even see the stop signs, let alone cross traffic.

She'll be OK, but my beloved Jimmy :( is so bent.

Spectria, L1 MT
05-14-2008, 01:52 AM
After getting to the Jimmy in Tahoe, I found that I had fuel pump sound, but still no start.

Against all recommendations, I cut a hole above the sender/fuel pump opening, and extracted the fuel pump. The impact from the collision had bent the sender/fuel pump rail and the top of the pump was no longer connected to the original factory coupling, which is apparently a simple press fit.

I realigned everything and reattached the pump and it started and ran perfectly.

Of course the car was hit directly into the left rear axle so hard that it bent the left half of the axle tube about 5 degrees, bent both rear spring shackles at least an inch, sheared the pin in the left spring mount and shoved the axle back 8 inches, enough to pull the driveshaft out of the Transfer case and set it on the cross member. Lastly, the axle U-Bolts on the left side were bent into s curves.

After pulling the driveshaft, realigning the axle housing on the spring, replacing the bent U-Bolts and putting the e-brake cable back into place, (it was yanked out also) and reinstalling the driveshaft, I tested the system in the air, and only had a very slight axle wobble in the left rear axle.

Knowing the axle bearing wouldn't survive the bent housing for long, I drove it home to Santa Rosa, where it sits waiting for State Farm Insurance to reinspect it to pay out for the mechanical damage, which was completely missed in the original assessment by the Adjuster who inspected the car in Tahoe.

Although the rear axle was shoved back far enough that the tire was jammed into the wheel well, and the left rear tire was punctured on the back side from striking the frame rail, and the right rear tire was protruding beyond the right fender at least 2 inches, he failed to make any mention of axle or frame damage....

Even a blind person could have seen this damage.

The body damage was almost invisible, so a new rear axle and I will be back in business.:smile:

Spectria, L1 MT
05-14-2008, 01:58 AM
No on the intera switch.

MT

Of course you were right!!!

Thanks, I'm an idiot

MT-2500
05-14-2008, 09:18 AM
You are welcome.
You are not a idiot just thinking Ford.

Glad you found all of the problems.
Keep on the adjusters case.
Dod not let them close claim yet.
Hold the claim open untill all problems are found and fixed.
Good Luck
MT

Add your comment to this topic!