Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Jimmy, tough starting

Maxwell1191
03-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Recently, starting my Jimmy has been more difficult than usual. When I try to start the car, I have to hold the key for a second or two longer than usual. It always starts but I'm wondering why this happens. If I turn the key just enough so the gas is pumped in before I start the engine, then I don't have to hold it as long. I just had the fuel filter replaced a few weeks ago, and I've never had this problem with starting until now (meaning that i didnt have to wait for the gas to be pumped in nor did i have to hold the key longer to get it to start). Any suggestions?

Thanks

chobes
05-14-2008, 08:24 AM
My 01 jimmy was doing the same thing. It took a few tries to start yesterday, I was low on gas so i added some. Wen't out to start this morning no luck. Cranked and cranked it. No Luck, have a buddy comming over tonight with his fuel system pressure tester. Will let you know what i find out. I am thinking the fuel pump. My fuel gague flucuates a lot, I need to replace it any ways. Stay tuned.

brcidd
05-14-2008, 08:51 AM
Was in MacDonalds drive through he other day-- saw a old guy transferring stuff from his '02 S truck to a car. Felt sorry for him- as him if it would start- he said tow truck is on the way-- I told him to turn key on- I whopppped the fuel tank- I could hear the fuel pump come on- I told him to start it-- it started-- I said now drive it to the shop and have the fuel pump replaced-- didn't need the pressure tester to prove the fuel pump was inop-

I told him it would probably start now 9 of 10 times- until he gets the new fuel pump-- I actually knew a guy who drove 6 mths like this- until he got the money to replace the fuel pump..

So have you tried the whoppppp test yet?

chobes
05-14-2008, 09:04 AM
Not yet. Runningnlate for work, Just took the wifes van in today. Will give it a try when i get home. Thanks.

chobes
05-23-2008, 08:48 PM
Well, it was the fuel pump. out a pressure tester on the fuel line and no pressure at all. luckily i didn't have much gas in it. Replaced the pump and the inline filter. Running great and gained 4 miles/gal. Thanks for the help.

chobes
05-23-2008, 08:50 PM
Put the pressure gauge on the fuel line and nothing. So i replaced the pump and the inline filter. Running great now. Gained 4 miles/gal and my gauge stopped bobbing around. thanks for the replies.

Blue Bowtie
05-23-2008, 11:09 PM
With a 4 MPG increase, your new pump should pay for itself in the first 10,000 miles of driving.

MT-2500
05-24-2008, 07:28 AM
Put the pressure gauge on the fuel line and nothing. So i replaced the pump and the inline filter. Running great now. Gained 4 miles/gal and my gauge stopped bobbing around. thanks for the replies.

Good work.:lol2:
Thanks for letting us know how it went.
And remember a good AC-Delco tune up on the secandary ign ever so often may give you a few more MPG.
MT

chobes
05-24-2008, 10:53 AM
No Problem. Everyone need to let us know what the problems were and how they fix them. Saves all of us a ton of cash by doing so. I have 102,000 miles on the james and have not done any real sort of tune-up. What do you think it is time for? Plugs, Wires, PCV, and what else. Did do a trans flush at around 70,000.

Thanks again for the replies, CHOBES

MT-2500
05-24-2008, 11:07 AM
Good Ac-delco plugs for sure.
AC-Deloco Air filter and pcv valve.
Check dist cap and rotor plug wires.
Always use AC-Delco cap and rotor
Take a note of and check camshaft retard.
Should be as close to 0 degrees - or + as you can get it.
Go over it with a good engine capable scanner and check 02 sensors and other sensor readings.

Look over hoses and belts and other stuff wile you are at it.
Coolant flush service to should be done ever 3 ears or 50K.

I would hold on the transmission flushes and just go a pan drop and filter change.
Good Luck
MT

Add your comment to this topic!