No oil on the dipstick?/

latestgood
03-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Hello,

I have 2002 saturn sl2. I checked my oil and there was no trace of oil on the dipstick. when I tried to add oil, I saw oil in the engine and it was full. Why is that?

j cAT
03-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Hello,

I have 2002 saturn sl2. I checked my oil and there was no trace of oil on the dipstick. when I tried to add oil, I saw oil in the engine and it was full. Why is that?

this is a classic sludged engine.... do you change your oil every 3,000mi when hot! i know some owners that only add oil and never change it because they only keep it 3yrs.....all your engine oil is trapped in the head because of sludge blocking the drain back holes.......on an engine that is properly maintained this will never occur....even if it had 300,000mi on it..

latestgood
03-02-2008, 08:06 PM
I like to answer my own question after doing extensive research. Saturn's dipstick ony goes up to last 1 quart. So if you have less than one quart of oil in your engine, your dipstick will have no reading. Again, this is common problem for saturn's due to fact that they love to burn oil...

Thanks,

72chevelleOhio
03-03-2008, 01:31 AM
there was no trace of oil on the dipstick. when I tried to add oil, I saw oil in the engine and it was full.
umm, WHAT?!?!? Are you Superman? How did you see the oil was full if it wasn't on the dipstick? :confused:

Also, If you just shut off the engine and then checked it, It will read low too because all the oil hasn't returned to the pan.

Did you recently purchase the car, and are finding it to be using more oil then expected?

slideways...
03-05-2008, 05:46 PM
it doesnt take long to return to the pan, usually about 15-20 seconds max. latestgood hit it on the nose.

72chevelleOhio
03-06-2008, 05:42 AM
it doesnt take long to return to the pan, usually about 15-20 seconds max. latestgood hit it on the nose. Do you change your own oil? yes? good! how long does it take the oil to stop dripping once you pull the drain plug????

J-Ri
03-06-2008, 05:10 PM
several hours at least, my truck still drips after that long anyway, but I ran out of beer and decided to put everything back together before finding how long it actually takes... but all but a quart or so will be in the pan as soon as you shut the engine off and run as fast as you can to the dipstick.

I too an curious how you knew the engine was full of oil... does that mean it's FULL and coming out of the fill hole?!

slideways...
03-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Do you change your own oil? yes? good! how long does it take the oil to stop dripping once you pull the drain plug????

huh? you really believe this? wow i guess all you know about cars is derived from doing your own oil changes.

Moppie
03-06-2008, 09:19 PM
huh? you really believe this? wow i guess all you know about cars is derived from doing your own oil changes.

And how many oil changes on how many different cars have you done?

Some cars have very small return holes in the cylinder head, at a lower level than larger return holes, they are designed to hold oil in the head for an extended period in order to splash lubricate the valve gear.
The Honda B series VTEC engines for example hold about 1/2 a liter for up to half an hour after the engine has been shut off.
Even my 12 valve B20 holds onto about a 1/4 of a liter for up to an hour.

But of course they don't teach these things at school do they, so the real world experiance that says otherwise must be wrong. :rolleyes:

slideways...
03-06-2008, 09:31 PM
ive changed oil on thousands of different cars. i am a mechanic after all....i know your correct but ive never seen a half hour. i will drain the oil, wait like 5 minutes, and fill it up. then start the car and most can hold a half quart in the engine/filter/ect. but ive never seen any car that holds on to that much for that long. if you want i can try and name off all the cars ive changed oil on but it would be much easier to name off the ones i havent. and sometimes yes i will catch one that didnt get all the oil drained, and the new oil on the dipstick will be partially dirty. but 99 percent of the time the manufacturer specification for dry fill crankcase/oil pan capacity is within .1 or .2 quarts from what goes in. and on saturns, theres none that keep oil in the motor for longer than a minute or two.

72chevelleOhio
03-07-2008, 03:48 AM
wow i guess all you know about cars is derived from doing your own oil changes.

ive changed oil on thousands of different cars. i am a mechanic after all....
:rolleyes:

Anyway...
Saturn's dipstick ony goes up to last 1 quart. So if you have less than one quart of oil in your engine, your dipstick will have no reading. So it is possible to have it so low its barely on the stick, when you ran it and JUST shut it off, there wouldn't be any on the stick. Once it sit for awhile and that little pint or so drained back to the pan, then it was on the stick. If were only talking about a 1 quart "window" for error....

j cAT
03-07-2008, 03:55 PM
And how many oil changes on how many different cars have you done?

Some cars have very small return holes in the cylinder head, at a lower level than larger return holes, they are designed to hold oil in the head for an extended period in order to splash lubricate the valve gear.
The Honda B series VTEC engines for example hold about 1/2 a liter for up to half an hour after the engine has been shut off.
Even my 12 valve B20 holds onto about a 1/4 of a liter for up to an hour.

But of course they don't teach these things at school do they, so the real world experiance that says otherwise must be wrong. :rolleyes:

the only engines i ever saw hold oil in the head were heads that had restricted drain back holes... but i never removed a head on a vtec engine but i have done oil changes on vtec honda and it always took the correct amount of oil when changing oil and the stick read correctly, also the level check after engine stopped was about 5min ,and the stick always read at full mark...also the owners manual never stated anything about waiting 30min to check oil for proper level....that saturn engine that started this post has got to have a very sludged engine ... todays engines have very small drain back holes and when you get that 5min oil change the crap can't get out... thats why this sludge is a growing problem especially with certain engines....

slideways...
03-07-2008, 04:41 PM
[quote=72chevelleOhio]:rolleyes:
quote]

and wtf is that supposed to mean? oooh sorry i didnt know you were picky. im sorry, im an automotive technician. does that make you happier? doesnt change shit. i still know what im talking about. maybe you dont believe me but the automotive society of engineers does, and trust me, id rather have their approval than yours.

KiwiBacon
03-07-2008, 05:14 PM
My diesel 4wd takes at least half an hour for the oil to drain back down. I know of some truck drivers who got in the crap for exactly this reason.

They started up a truck (mack ultraliner) then realised they'd forgotten to check the oil.
They shut it down and "holy crap", no oil showing on the dipstick.
They put in 8 litres (yes 8 litres) to bring it up to the mark, then drove it for a couple of hundred km towing a curtain side trailer.
At the other end they found most of those extra 8 litres of oil had been blown out the engine breather and was dripping off their trailer.

Boss wasn't too happy.:grinno:

72chevelleOhio
03-08-2008, 05:50 AM
all you know about cars is derived from doing your own oil changes.
ive changed oil on thousands of different cars.
i.. know what im talking about.
Thank you.

j cAT
03-08-2008, 11:58 AM
My diesel 4wd takes at least half an hour for the oil to drain back down. I know of some truck drivers who got in the crap for exactly this reason.

They started up a truck (mack ultraliner) then realised they'd forgotten to check the oil.
They shut it down and "holy crap", no oil showing on the dipstick.
They put in 8 litres (yes 8 litres) to bring it up to the mark, then drove it for a couple of hundred km towing a curtain side trailer.
At the other end they found most of those extra 8 litres of oil had been blown out the engine breather and was dripping off their trailer.

Boss wasn't too happy.:grinno:

this is a good example of how cold oil will not flow well.... if this engine had just come off the hwy carrying a load it would have shown oil at proper mark.....in a few minuites.....if you start a cold engine for 1minute and then shut it down you will have this occur...oil level will not be correct..

slideways...
03-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Thank you.

dude are you completely retarted? why did you even post this? are you trying to back up my point?

EDIT: im sorry i should clarify since you seem to not understand proper english syntax.

my first statement was regarding---
you think that since it takes a few minutes or whatever for your oil to leave your oil pan, that all cars must be the same and theres no way this has anything to do with the fact that it takes a while for multiple quarts of thick fluid to exit out of a small hole.

then you try and put something in about me actually knowing what im talking about? i dont get it.

please clarify, your shit talking confuses me.

KiwiBacon
03-08-2008, 05:07 PM
this is a good example of how cold oil will not flow well.... if this engine had just come off the hwy carrying a load it would have shown oil at proper mark.....in a few minuites.....if you start a cold engine for 1minute and then shut it down you will have this occur...oil level will not be correct..

Very true.
But even when warm my 4wd takes longer than 10 minutes to return to level. Basically the time taken to fill it up with fuel and pay isn't long enough. But that puts it within about 1/4" of where it settles to overnight.

slideways...
03-08-2008, 07:36 PM
maybe 1% or so of cars i change oil on take longer than 30 seconds to get within 1 mm of the top of the dipstick after an oil change. and waiting a day doesnt change the level at all. why is my experience so different?

and why does it matter? the guy has a saturn. there is no tricks or technology in his car. if GM wanted to, it could have made a saturn sl equivalent car in the 60s.

UncleBob
03-08-2008, 09:10 PM
if the engine is gunked up, the head won't drain well. Then it could take an abnormally long time to get a high reading.

As a general rule, it should be very close to the max you're going to see in 60 seconds or so

(unless its a dry sump system, not something you see too often in cars :D )

MobileMom
03-17-2008, 01:03 PM
You guys are all being obnoxiously close minded. There is not necessarily one right answer to this question. And untill the guy who posted the question answers some well asked questions for details, no one will truly know how to diagnose his problem. Of course, with all your bantering, he may have been scared off, or laughing his pants of from watching ya'll argue.

Remember the objective here guys. We're suppose to be answering the question asked, not arguing over who has more experience or who knows better.

I have seen vehicles that take 5 minutes to do an oil change, and vehicles that take an hour to change cause you have to wait for the oil to make it past all the sludge in the engine. I have seen some valuable answers in this thread, and some really rediculus ones, but none of them are necessarily wrong.

Play nice guys, its much more fun that way!

UncleBob
03-17-2008, 03:01 PM
yes mom.....

:D

MobileMom
03-17-2008, 03:20 PM
good boy :nono:

2.2 Straight six
03-17-2008, 06:05 PM
wow. what a bunch of girls.

seriously guys, please pull it together. we've all got different opinions and experiences. all car have different specs and methods for working on them. and no two jobs are exactly the same.

either quit the bitching or i'll close this. end of.

j cAT
03-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Very true.
But even when warm my 4wd takes longer than 10 minutes to return to level. Basically the time taken to fill it up with fuel and pay isn't long enough. But that puts it within about 1/4" of where it settles to overnight.

Yes I agree that it will be slightly off from overnight drain time.... but if it normally takes 1hour to get an accurate reading like within 1/2 quart I would remove valve cover and insect for sludge,drain back restrictions, etc....

Moppie
03-18-2008, 01:29 AM
wow. what a bunch of girls.

seriously guys, please pull it together. we've all got different opinions and experiences. all car have different specs and methods for working on them. and no two jobs are exactly the same.

either quit the bitching or i'll close this. end of.

Yes Dad.

J-Ri
03-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Yes Dad.

:biggrin:

2.2 Straight six
03-18-2008, 07:14 PM
Yes Dad.

Good boy. *pats head*

:p

Add your comment to this topic!